Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Short and Long Descriptions- SEO concerns

nealj

Total Posts:  3

Hello, I was brought in to work on a web store using Magento.  I was looking at the way products were being entered, and I saw a lot of full descriptions being copied between both short and long descriptions.  From a usability standpoint, this seems redundant, and I have considered switching it to single description.  I wanted to be clear on something though, as it may necessitate me going through a 2000 product catalog to fix.  Do search engines see both the short and long content as being on the same page and thus duplicate content if they match?

Thanks in advance, couldn’t find a clear answer anywhere else.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TutorialMagento

Total Posts:  133

You can set SEO Meta description on \"Meta Information\” tab, Google bot will crawl meta description of your product page in this section.
About Short and Long description, if Meta Information is not set, Google will look for keyword information in this order
1.Short description >> 2.Long description >> 3. Content
My advice is that you should put keyword of your products in all 3 sections

For some other SEO tips or magento tutorials, you may visit my website smile
http://tutorialmagento.com/seo-tips-magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

nealj

Hello, Gareth,

Thank you for replying.  In general then, it’s potentially harmful if the Short and Long Descriptions contain the same text, correct?

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

Honestly, it will be the least of your concerns regarding seo, everything is changing. We ran sites which took the long description and truncated to 140chars for the short/meta descrition and no adverse effects. We were however on a special hosting platform that makes a small site look like a large site and performs 95% of the seo anyway, it is basically about marginal gains. So it ‘could’ have some impact but that is down to Google, if you have good business techniques which can get you 95% (social media, marketing, backlinks) and/or good technology which can get you to 95% (hosting) then it is not a problem at all. Too many factors influence ranking so there is no correct answer, if you are concerned about your site you can make the short description non-mandatory and do not fill it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itismeagain

Total Posts:  8

Several things to understand here.

1) There is no \"duplicate content penalty\”.
Google will not start deindexing pages simply because it can see the same content on the Category list and the Product page.
(There are \"filters\" - G may opt to show 1 out of X versions in the SERPs, see (2))

2) SERP Filtering.
Google doesn\’t want to bombard searchers with hundreds of listings of the same thing ... so it \"filters\".
This is when/where having duplicated content can be a PITA ... as G may opt to show a page/URL you don\’t really want (such as the Cat rather than the Prod etc.).

That\’s the Dupe stuff covered ... but there are other considerations.

A) Usability first!
Users don\’t tend to want to read the same thing over and over.  So having different content is \"generally\" advisable.
That said - knowing how your customers work (whether they want the details on the Cat or the Prod pages) is important for you to figure out.
So you could test it out (split test pages, or run 2 product ranges/setups switching the format etc.), or you could ask your customers :D

B) Vital data/info first!
It\’s not the size/volume of content that is important - it\’s what \"value\" there is ... that is what you need to figure.
So you can technically include the same information/data points in both Short and Long Desc., but it\’s what else is \"added\" or \"different\" that could be influential.

C) There are likely far more important \"SEO\" items to focus on.
Seriously - for SEO impact, the dupe content side of things is low.  Ensuring you are using the right terms, as well as alternative/associated/complimentary terms, using them in the Title, H1, Link text etc. are far more important.
The only real concern for the \"content\" is to make sure it\’s not stuffed, spammy or occuring on hundreds of other sites.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nealj

Thank you for your advice!  It’s hard to get a handle on things if you have to wait to find out the results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nChannel
Guru

Total Posts:  329

you won’t necessarily get penalized for that, but it’s a bad practice from a usability standpoint. Users don’t want to read something twice so I’d stick with one description.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Monty_iLM
Guru

Total Posts:  450

Hi,

You can also see this thread http://blog.gaiterjones.com/magento-seo-generate-meta-description-tags-automatically/

Hope this will help you!!

Thanks

Monty
iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community

Charles_MS

Total Posts:  87

According to the article: 10 SEO FRIENDLY TIPS FOR YOUR MAGENTO STORE, don’t forget to add well-defined and descriptive Meta title and Meta Description for your webpages. Do not use same meta-information in all pages!. This will cause duplicate. Try to add Meta Title, Keywords and Description that gives an idea about your product and services to Google crawler.

In your Magento store set the title and metadata on a page to page basis, go to individual categories and product pages in the catalog section of Admin Panel.
Avoid duplicate content and duplicate URL issues in your website. Always try to follow one URL structure through the whole site.

For achieving the full knowledge about SEO for magento, you can visit this Blog to read articles.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Axequart

Total Posts:  8

Hope that you can find the suitable answer here: 10 SEO FRIENDLY TIPS FOR YOUR MAGENTO STORE

Magento Community
Magento Community

Honell

Total Posts:  2

sort: the short description - long: more detailed description
--> so there is no duplicate content, do not worry.
mylover tu bep gia dinh, tu bep hien dai

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

nealj - 01 November 2013 12:55 PM

Hello, I was brought in to work on a web store using Magento.  I was looking at the way products were being entered, and I saw a lot of full descriptions being copied between both short and long descriptions.  From a usability standpoint, this seems redundant, and I have considered switching it to single description.  I wanted to be clear on something though, as it may necessitate me going through a 2000 product catalog to fix.  Do search engines see both the short and long content as being on the same page and thus duplicate content if they match?

Thanks in advance, couldn’t find a clear answer anywhere else.

Hello! Having the same meta descriptions on all pages is not good. I understand how hard it may be to manage a large catalogs and it’s hardly possible to write unique meta descriptions for thousands of products.So I’d recommend you Meta Tags Templates extension which automatically generates meta tags for product and category pages based on attributes. This save lots of time and has a positive impact on SEO.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ec0mmerce

Total Posts:  242

Hello

As an additional improvement to the SEO optimization, would like to offer this free INTERNAL SEO LINKING extension. It will encourage the businesses to improve the search engine rankings for target keywords.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community