Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

A 100% non-developers Magento Store!! 

Rich

Total Posts:  21
London

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my (very modest) Magento store with everyone - to show what a complete non-designer non-developer can achieve by just using the existing templates. There’s no customisation, no template development, nothing really special but I’m liking the way it looks and feels.

Would be really interested in any comments (Be nice!),

http://www.designer-label-watches.com

Thanks, and happy ecommerce!!

Rich

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

LockWire

Total Posts:  25

Looks great. I hope I can get the mess I have started on to look that good.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

very true!! the store looks very good .... and it is difficult to believe that you had this done with zero programming support wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

cosmetics

Total Posts:  18
The Netherlands

Impressive !!!!  I hope I can achieve the same.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mott

Total Posts:  47
Los Angeles, CA

Nice work Rich.
How did you import the product data?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich

London

Hi Mott - the unfortunate truth is that I’ve done everything manually!! I prepared all the images (athough the batch processesing feature on photoshop helped) and then have been inputting products, one at a time, into the admin system. Really couldn’t recommend that as the best way to do things, but I didn’t really have a choice.

I had that product import/export error that other people had encountered (see other forum threads) which meant the batch upload didn’t work (I’ve put in the fix proposed by other members and so that fixed now). Now as I get new product I input manually, duplicating and editing existing products rather than starting each one from fresh, which helps speed things along a bit.

If I were starting from scratch now, I’d get the whole site build done MUCH quicker!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Very impressed, particularly with choice of attributes and how the filtered navigation works.
Did you have any troubles with getting the UK locale working?
(I have struggled, and need to know how to do it, what folder name and where...)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich

London

Hi Discovery, thanks for the positive comments.

In terms of locale settings, there’s a couple of files you need to install/overwrite. Can’t remember exactly how, but I started at this thred and worked it out from there: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/771/P15/#t24912

Generally, search the site and you should find something useful from the community - it’s how I got past my stumbling blocks.

Cheers,

Rich

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrjohnnycake

Total Posts:  35
Arcata, CA. USA

Looks great.  I’m a budding developer myself and I was totally overwhelmed when I first started out and now my site is looking great (I’m not sharing it yet since I’m still working on it).

So to all of those of you wondering if you can do this, hang in there and start with one piece at a time.  You’ll figure it out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DancePlus

Total Posts:  17
Toronto, ON Canada

Good Work. Couple of questions. Are you going to try and get rid of the graphic around the search box which still shows evidence of the old theme? And slightly off topic.... I tried to use the batch editor in photoshop and found that I couldn’t get the images as small (KB) than when I did it individually with the “Save for web command”. Using the latter method I could get 300 186x186 px images each down to less than 12KB, with many as low as 5KB - 6BK. Using the batch method they started at 12KB and went up from there. Did you test this at all? I want all my images to be as small as possible (in KBs not px), for faster loading times.

Comments?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

Looks good. What amount of work have you done to the original store? Did you simply replace the images with your own or have you edited css at all?...I’m asking as a total noob lol ... hoping to produce something as good-a-looking as your site!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich

London

Hi UKDazza,

Initially I did nothing to the CSS but started by replacing the header / background images, then the product and banner images and finally just used the inline editor and template hints functions to identify each page element as required and edit or replace them. Then hacked the .phtml templates about (moved blocks of code rather create anything new) on the product page and finally did change some colours in the CSS, but really no development - just trial and error and simple changes.

Cheers,

Rich

Magento Community
Magento Community

stylemaven

Total Posts:  2

that’s a pretty wicked site. ^_^

Magento Community
Magento Community

nigeljh

Total Posts:  6
England

Hi Rich,

I notice you had parcelforce on the watches site. After reading your Ts & Cs you are charging a flat rate for shipping, so i probably answered my own question ... but if you are using a slightly more complicated method, how did you integrate parcelforce into the shipping ?
Is there a set of cost/weight tables from parcelforce it is possible to download that can be imported staright into magento ?
kind regards,
nigel

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community