Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

please, please, please, PLEASE HELP!!! (Admin panel in some kind of a never-ending redirect)

Allysin

Total Posts:  215

Hello,

I cannot believe this happened to me again. I am sooo frustrated. Just like last time (over a year ago). I am hosted on Hostforweb.com and just like last time - I installed the shopping cart, then - spent hundreds of hours modifying it. Then - added products, deleted the test orders from the MySQL database. There are 2 User roles defined - mine - which has full access and another one with limited access (so far only had Categories and Manage Categories and Orders and things related to Orders). I have done the following:

1. Changed the user role for the Limited role to add Customers
2. Told the person who the role is for to login
3. They reported this Error message saying it will not log them in
4. I’ve put the Error in a Search on MagentoCommerce.com and found out i had something to do with SSL
5. Since we had the SSL enabled for both - the front and the back end - I went into the Website area of the Configuration part of the Admin panel and changed it to “unsecured”
6. Then - I logged out and ever since then - it will not only let the person with the limited access login but also I am not able to login either—we both get the Error after putting in the user ID and password and clicking on LOGIN:
7: I’ve contacted the hosting and they swear there has not been ANY CHANGES on the server within the last 2 hours. They say this:

“Hello,

There have not been any changes made to the server recently. The neverending redirect almost always points to a bad mod_rewrite rule in your .htaccess. I suggest consulting Magento’s support documents to fix the broken rule.

Regards,
Chris”

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP! I am really desperate!

This is the Error message: (please note that I have not changed the .htaccess file and it has been running successfully for the last 24 hours!!!

The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

psarapas

Total Posts:  26

I know this may sound totally dumb, b ut a couple of possible steps…

1. flush out the RAM in firefox tools>>clear browsing history

or
2.  try another browser

and I don’t suppose you’ve tried to restart your computer and log in again?

good luck, I share your pain, not this issue but others with magento to which I and others seem to get no answers

--paul

Magento Community
Magento Community

Allysin

Paul,

I went back and forth with the webhosting company and they claim they have not made ANY changes after I reported this problem to them. I know that I did not make ANY changes and now it seems to be working again...just like that.

With all the respect - it really could have not been a browser Cashe issue (I’ve tried different browsers and also the other person trying was on another computer on the other side of the world).

Thanks for the empathy - it is appreceiated very much!  kiss

Magento Community
Magento Community

psarapas

Total Posts:  26

Well that’s a happy ending.  grin Weird, I have had similar issues where things are buggin, I’ve tried a million things, to know avail, and then all of a sudden things start to work again. tongue rolleye
go figure
maybe sometimes tings just need a rest…
or your host server support actually fixed it without saying there was an issue on their end!

Cheers///

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

FWIW, I would have manually deleted the Magento cache (from FTP) - including sessions, also deleted cookies and browser cache.

The fact that it started working again after a while would indicate that something expired allowing a regular login again.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

You can clear your cache (inc sessions) via FTP.
And I know from running Magento on many different servers that you cannot exclude server config from being involved.
Magento is a very fussy mistress and small differences in server config can make a big difference to the way Magento behaves.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

While that may be true for you, it is not necessarily so for others with similar symptoms.
To suggest otherwise is simply untrue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Allysin

I see a nice little discussion has developed about this problem and that’s good!  wink The thing that makes me wonder about this is - every action has a reaction. And since there was NO action on my part or the hosting company part yet there still was a REACTION...makes me wonder. It just really makes me scared that it will come up again and it won’t go away by itself this time.

If I do a backup of the files and the database on a regular basis - do you think a complete restore would fix something like that?

Also - I’ve turned off the SSL for the Admin - is that bad?

Thanks for any suggestions… kiss

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

I’ve already mentioned the value of clearing the cache and sessions and cookies to resolve some of these issues, the other one I’ve come across twice with my own store is that the webhost swore blind that they had changed nothing, but what emerged was that another tech HAD changed something, but not logged that change, so none of the other techs knew about it.

It only takes a small change to php settings and a number of other things to bring the site down.

In which case, even a full restore doesn’t fix it - as I found out.
But I still take full file-by-file + db backups twice a day via rsync.

What my experience has taught me is to be very, very picky about my web host, and schmooze up to the techs to keep them onside. wink

The joys of running a full-featured, but not totally robust ecommerce package!

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

MikeyBoy

Total Posts:  9

NeilA - 30 November 2009 02:46 PM

I’ve already mentioned the value of clearing the cache and sessions and cookies to resolve some of these issues, the other one I’ve come across twice with my own store is that the webhost swore blind that they had changed nothing, but what emerged was that another tech HAD changed something, but not logged that change, so none of the other techs knew about it.

It only takes a small change to php settings and a number of other things to bring the site down.

In which case, even a full restore doesn’t fix it - as I found out.
But I still take full file-by-file + db backups twice a day via rsync.

What my experience has taught me is to be very, very picky about my web host, and schmooze up to the techs to keep them onside. wink

The joys of running a full-featured, but not totally robust ecommerce package!

Regards

Your exactly write Neil!

I just knocked out everything beneath /var/cache and I’m back in business again.

For me it only happens with one hosting company I’m with.

If I refresh the site from the Magento back end it sets up a redirect loop from which there is no escape - so this is the fix.

Thanks mate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Pleased to help.. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community