Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Documentation

pluc

Total Posts:  27

Hey everyone. We picked Magento as the de facto standard for all e-Commerce sites my company will have to use in the future. We examined all the features and it seemed to do the job really well. The fact that it was built on ZF was a big plus seeing as all the programming team is proefficient with the framework.

However, I am disappointed at the lack of documentation there is to customize Magento. The little documentation I could find (How to create a shipping module/how to create a payment module on the wiki) are both outdated, so we have no real pointers as to where to start working with a system that’s really complex outside of the circle of initial programmers and enthusiasts.

So I’m here wondering if there is some manual, documentation or actual examples of customization that I could have a look at. The Wiki seems completely depleted of helpful developer-oriented information, and so far that’s the only source of documentation I’ve found.k

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pluc

Total Posts:  27

Yeah that does make sense, but still. It’s not everyone that will buy a 40$ book to learn how to code with Magento. An online documentation is a must. They use phpDocumentor’s stub in their code, they could simply generate an API guide with it. It’s seriously going to hurt Magento’s popularity if nothing is available for extension purposes. Because right now, it’s almost impossible to code a module correctly due to the small volume of information available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joomlavue

Total Posts:  26
Singapore

Well, judging from the infancy of Magento 1.0 where tons of work on bug fixing and performance tweaking, all we could do is just wait in hope for the core team to have their time in the Documentation stuff a bit while later. Perhaps some of us might even volunteer to contribute to the Documentation Wiki as some of the current wiki docs are a bit outdated. So the work load is actually being shared within the community. But of course, there should be monitoring of the docs entries from the core team as well so that the quality and precision of the docs created is acknowledged.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alanin

Total Posts:  67
Nordhausen, Germany

yeah, its a pain that there is no documentation, which helps you to get in touch with magento and its developing abd paying for something, just to take a look into it isnt the right way…

we hope that this documentation rox, cause 150pages is not much for a magento documentation - magento is way to complex to write about it on just 150 pages - but time will tell…

i hope the chapters bout the development is good and helpful…

we’re hot to the our hands on that book - hope its worth the money

Magento Community
Magento Community

emkay

Total Posts:  2

Magento generated documentation

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community