Magento Forum

Maintain text formatting in product description

john_wilson

Total Posts:  35

When I type something into the product description box, and create multiple sentences or paragraphs with a line-breaking space between them, then save it, all the formatting is lost, and the resulting page shows all the text together as if it was one paragraph.

For example:

I like bananas, they are good to eat.

I also like apples, because they are tasty.

I don’t like cherries.

Becomes this:

I like bananas, they are good to eat.I also like apples, because they are tasty.I don’t like cherries.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

For now you will need to enter HTML tags (</br>). We are working on integrating some WYSIWYG editor into Magento (no decision made yet). Once we decide on this we will deal with the \n line breaks.

thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Romain Fluttaz

Total Posts:  31
Chambery, France

</br> tag doesn’t works in the last beta ?

edit : sorry it’s working… (cache problem !)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

That cache can be quite a pain sometimes! wink

For future reference, go here to figure out how to add the WYSIWYG editor to the product description box(es): http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/420/P0/

A lot of old posts seem to be getting dug up lately, haha.

Magento Community
Magento Community

HLT1

Total Posts:  33

Referring again to the original post. 

Here we are 6 years later and I am having the same problem.

I see the “WSYWIG” button above both “Description” and “Short Description”.

What I dont understand is this:

1) Why don’t you need to do anything with “Short Description” box?  It formats the paragraphs exactly like you type it.  Hit return twice, and on the front end, you have a new paragraph.

2) Yet on the “Description” box it doesn’t do this by default.  Yet both have a WSYWIG button?  Even more confusing.

3) So why does this work on “Short Description” but not on “Description” ?

4) Why not just incorporate the code into both boxes?

5) Lastly ... i tried using the WSYWIG button.  It makes no sense.  It generates a popup with the same text.  Looks exactly the same as on the original box.  Confusing?  So I see a “Hide WSYWIG” button ... .which also makes no sense .... but I click it anyway ... and boom ... everything is now formatted pretty.  Yet when I save it ... now the original “Description” box is filled with ugly DIV tags etc. 

And there I look - longingly at the “Short Description” box… working all by itself without any help.  No ugly DIV or P tags. Wishing and hoping someone would have had the common sense to make both boxes the same.

Help.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community