Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Using Magento with ExpressionEngine - including items from a store

ChristopherTate

Total Posts:  13

I am working on a small commerce site and am attempting to do the following.

The site will be run on expression engine and I’d like to use Magento as well.  I’d like there to be a section on the homepage of the site that includes the newest items that have been added to the store.  The containing div would house 7 - 9 products, with an image, description, price, and add to cart link.  Really simple.  The items would be listed from left to right, with thumbnails sitting above the description/pricing/cart text.  When the user selects an item, it brings them to the item within the Magento section of the website.  Here they can make the purchase, browse for other items, etc. 

So, my question is, how do I include this list of items in the EE site framework?  Something like an iFrame with a call to a template page that only includes the items mentioned above? 

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ChristopherTate

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

The easiest way would be to enable feeds in Magento, and then use the Magpie RSS/Atom Parser plugin for EE to pull data from whatever feed you want.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChristopherTate

Thank you.  Do u know where I can see an example?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

ChristopherTate - 23 April 2008 11:44 PM

Thank you.  Do u know where I can see an example?

Sorry for the late reply. An example of EE pulling Magento products? I don’t think there is any. You would need to install the Magpie RSS/Atom Parser plugin for EE.

After you do that, enable RSS feeds in Magento by going to System -> Config -> Catalog -> RSS Feeds. Set Enable RSS to Enabled under RSS Config and New Products to Enabled under Catalog. You’ll want to clear the system cache after you do that.

Then just need to follow the examples on the plugin page to grab specific data:

{exp:magpie url="http://www.your-store.com/rss/catalog/new/sid/1/" limit="10" refresh="720"

<ul

{items} 

<li><a href="{link}">{title}</a></li

{/items} 

</ul
{/exp:magpie}

Available data you can pull is title, link, and description. The description contains an image of the product as well.

With a little PHP knowledge or working understanding of EE, you could also create a plugin that would pull the image out since it is included with the description since you mentioned you wanted to pull the image as well. Because the image is part of the description (along with some HTML that would need to be stripped so you could format it as you wanted), a plugin would be needed.

You’d most likely have to hire someone to do this, but it’d only be a couple lines of code and probably about $50-75 (that’s what I would charge at least).

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChristopherTate

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the help.

I may end up asking you to write that up.  I’ll send you a message in a bit.

Magento Community
Magento Community

plainspace

Total Posts:  23

Christopher,

Did you get this to work?  Can we see an example?

Thanks!

jared

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community