Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Displaying categories and subcategories on frontend of store? 

h2oeco

Total Posts:  7

I am in the process of trying out Magento, and learning the basics.  Though I have entered some categories and products, none of them are displayed on the front page (i.e. category links, drop down menus for the subcategories, etc.).  The products in the various categories do show up when I search.  How do I setup the front page, and cause the categories to be included in the navigation, etc. (like in the demo store, and most other Magento stores)?  At the moment, I am using the default theme, and have customized nothing.  I have not installed the sample data.

Thanks.

Ed

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Adam Moss

Total Posts:  248
Birmingham, UK

You must’ve gone wrong somewhere - show us your store. Normally the navigation with all categories & subcategories is called with:

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('topMenu'?>

I’d have to see your store to show you.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community