Magento Forum

Multiple Sites - One Install? 

CreedFeed

Total Posts:  74
Milwaukee, WI

Is it possible to install Magento one time (one copy of the core code) but have it run multiple sites which are all independant of one another? I’ve briefly searched the site here for information on this and the only real stuff I’ve found were tutorials on setting up multiple sites using the same catalogs or different languages.

What I’m looking for is

storeA.com - uses it’s own template and catalog
storeB.com - uses it’s own template and catalog
storeC.com - uses it’s own template and catalog

etc…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Administrator

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Our multi-store functionality supports what you describe. It’s not a full separation, but will support a separation of catalog, orders and customers.

It’s not fully completed yet, but once a production ready Magento is released, such functionality will be available out of the box.

Magento Community
Magento Community

CreedFeed

Total Posts:  74
Milwaukee, WI

So how would that work from the server aspect of things?

Let’s say I install Magento in /home/magento

Normally a domain would be set to /home/domain and the public root would be /home/domain/public_html

If I would have multiple domains pointed to a single install of Magento, would I simply have an index.php file or whatnot with configuration variables and stuff that include the appropriate information for that site, and the index file is put in the home directory for that domain?

OR

Do the multiple domains all point to the single install of Magento and checks are done within the Magento scripts to determine which site is being viewed?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

See if this article helps: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Multiple-website-setup/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community