Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
How do i get ICEcat to work? 

cealdk

Total Posts:  137

I know that I’m not the only one who have problems with this.

I have downloaded this extension:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/2309/mageconnector
and have found this document:
http://www.bintime.com/media/bintime/MageConnector_Documentation.pdf

I also signed up ad icecat.biz
I have followed all the guidelines,
I searched for other board’s and tropic’s, for help about doing this
but it still does not work.

Could someone explain me how I can get this to work. I would be nice if there where some pictures of how to do this.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

fritton

Total Posts:  3

I’m also not able to get the extension to work. I’ve debugged extensively for days without the support of bIntime to no avail. I reinstalled the newest version (Nov. 18th) and configured everything according the the guide and debugged more by changing the skus, manufacturer, making sure my test products were even in the directories that ICEcat has them in, added / changed my server IP allowed for ICEcat, Changed the serving method to URL, and back and forth with a ton of stuff. I installed a standard Magento environment, fully updated, with nothing on it but two test products configured minimally as required by Magento, and still no luck.

All I get on my product pages is the attached screenshot. No errors or anything and I can’t figure out what’s going on through looking at the code.

Image Attachments
icecatss.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

Red Mouse Computers

Total Posts:  123

yeah not working for me as well. would have been a GREAT extension for me to use.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pfastre

Total Posts:  6

I too had this problem.
I assume you have installed the extension and configured it correctly. At least I did, but it still didn’t work.

As you already know, Magento uses Zend Framework and so does the Icecat extension. I looked into the code and at some point the extension makes a connection to ‘data.icecat.biz’.  Here’s the problem: it tries to connect, but Zend Framework tries to validate the hostname before connecting. And because this is an earlier version of ZF, it has some problems with the .biz domain extension, resulting in an error, which is not handled properly by the icecat extension.
I managed to get it to work by creating a file /lib/Zend/Validate/Hostname/Biz.php, based on the already existing files in this folder. So I think the fact it’s not working is caused by poor testing of the module. Allthough I’m not sure, maybe they’ve developed it with a newer Magento version or something, I’m not in a position to blame the people of Bintime.

As a side note: I decided not to use the module after all, because it doesn’t put the attributes found in Icecat into Magento attributes. I would have liked that, to be able to do compares based on attributes etc. So now I’m writing my own interface to Icecat anyway.

Hope this helps you a bit further,

Peter

Magento Community
Magento Community

Red Mouse Computers

Total Posts:  123

pfastre - 03 December 2009 06:13 AM

I too had this problem.
I assume you have installed the extension and configured it correctly. At least I did, but it still didn’t work.

As you already know, Magento uses Zend Framework and so does the Icecat extension. I looked into the code and at some point the extension makes a connection to ‘data.icecat.biz’.  Here’s the problem: it tries to connect, but Zend Framework tries to validate the hostname before connecting. And because this is an earlier version of ZF, it has some problems with the .biz domain extension, resulting in an error, which is not handled properly by the icecat extension.
I managed to get it to work by creating a file /lib/Zend/Validate/Hostname/Biz.php, based on the already existing files in this folder. So I think the fact it’s not working is caused by poor testing of the module. Allthough I’m not sure, maybe they’ve developed it with a newer Magento version or something, I’m not in a position to blame the people of Bintime.

As a side note: I decided not to use the module after all, because it doesn’t put the attributes found in Icecat into Magento attributes. I would have liked that, to be able to do compares based on attributes etc. So now I’m writing my own interface to Icecat anyway.

Hope this helps you a bit further,

Peter

thanks for the tip. Also i would love for you to keep us updated on your icecat intergration. Is it a personal project or do you plan on releasing it publicly?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pfastre

The Icecat integration I’m working on will not be of much use I think. It’s based on a specific back office program and is integrated into too much other system to make it generally usable.
Furthermore, my knowledge of Magento is far too little to create a decent, bug-free extension. Right now I’m just struggling to get this one web-shop ready for my client…

Magento Community
Magento Community

DragonTech

Total Posts:  2
Diss, United Kingdom

I had issues to start with as well, but the main factors are:

1. Your IP address has to be set in ICEcat, otherwise it won’t work.
2. Must be XML subscription, not URL
3. The products that show up in the store depend on your subscription type: Full or Open. If you’re on OpenICEcat then not all products will come through, even though they might show up on the ICEcat site. Some of the main manufacturers like Microsoft, Intel, HP and Apple aren’t on Open ICEcat so none of their product data will show up in your shop.

Mine’s working fine now, just by making sure the info above was right (http://www.dragon-tech.co.uk) smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

cealdk

I have tried the way that you have describe who to do it, but I still can’t get it to work. Do you use the Full or the Open? Could you provide some screen shoots of how to setup the products in the backend.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pfastre

Did you try the code changes I suggested?
As for the Open/Full thing, here’s the list of all manufacturers in the Open icecat:
http://icecat.nl/en/menu/partners/index.htm

If the brand you want to show is in this overview and if it’s a current product, it should work. You can also try some products of which you know they work (see for example the icecat module documentation)

Magento Community
Magento Community

cealdk

I trying it now. But i’m not sure what kind of data that should be addet to the fil? Could you post the script here?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pfastre

I think, if you follow my instructions, it should work. You can copy the Biz.php from one of the existing files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cealdk

I still can’t get it to work. I have attach some pictures to show what i have done. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Image Attachments
icecat2.gificecat1.gificecat3.gificecat4.gificecat5.gificecat6.gif

Magento Community
Magento Community

durale

Total Posts:  8

Hi,

Same problem can t get this extension working although I get the image product from the category list. However I cna t the image or any description when I click on the product details

We may contact BinTime and forward them this issue so they can fix it easily rather than us debugging ...

regards

alex

Magento Community
Magento Community

durale

Total Posts:  8

pfastre , when creating this file Biz.php I get this error message when refreshing my shop web page.

I just copied .Ch.php to Biz.php. Should I change the content of Biz.php to match Biz settings?

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class Zend_Validate_Hostname_Ch in /home/durale/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Validate/Hostname/Biz.php on line 36

Regards

alex

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ivor J

Total Posts:  17

Just follow the instructions listed by Dragon-Tech. It works. Mine Does

DragonTech - 13 December 2009 09:40 AM

I had issues to start with as well, but the main factors are:

1. Your IP address has to be set in ICEcat, otherwise it won’t work.
2. Must be XML subscription, not URL

durale - 26 December 2009 01:01 PM
pfastre , when creating this file Biz.php I get this error message when refreshing my shop web page.

I just copied .Ch.php to Biz.php. Should I change the content of Biz.php to match Biz settings?

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class Zend_Validate_Hostname_Ch in /home/durale/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Validate/Hostname/Biz.php on line 36

Regards

alex

Magento Community
Magento Community

GSW

Total Posts:  2

I’m having the same problems as most above. Followed the 3 steps with limited success ie the image, SKU & brand are pulling through but not the specifications or data sheet for a product.

I seem to recall from another thread that the attributes should be correctly set. I’m using the attributes that came with the sample data on the Magento install. Could this be the problem and if so what is the guidance or how to on attributes?

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3