Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Please Help - Selling Jeans - Seems Impossible

UltraFlux

Total Posts:  38

Please help, I’m going crazy!!!

I want to sell Jeans and to do this I require two additional attributes “Waist Size” and “Length”

Waist Size contains 14 options of ( 28 - 42 )

Length contains 10 options ( 28 - 38 )

I believe this means I need 140 Simple Products to create One Configurable Product

Possibly even 280 Simple Products if Jeans are available for Men and Women.

When I first started using Magento I assumed a customer could input their own size however it appears that is not possible unless someone can alter Magento’s code.

Is anyone awear of a way to create an attribute that allows user input in numerical format?

Does anyone consider this a BUG?

Thanks for the help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

Sadly its not a bug, its the way they made it. Yes you would need to make that many items. Many people have complained about this problem already, it sounds like the devs are planning a feature called “bundles” which might help, but that isn’t until the next version, which I have heard is months away and has no ETA.

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Your serious, it was actually made that way?  I would fire whoever came up with that brilliant idea!

I consider this a Bug / Defect simply because anyone who requires attributes cannot use Magento; we have to find another ecommerce solution. 

In Magento’s current state only stores with Simple Products and Very Simple Configurable Products are manageable.

Jeans, Shorts, Dresses, Bags, Belts, Hats ( any product which requires two attributes makes all of Magento’s greatness worthless )

Magento could recover from this quickly by releasing v1.0.1 or even a patch.  However I’m not expecting much based on what I’ve seen in general.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

@UltraFlux

Did you try the “Quick simple product creation” in the “Associated Products” of the configurable products

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Im sure you are aware that “Quick Simple Product Creation” only works one product at a time.  Please review my bug/defect request to learn more information.

Auto Generate is somewhat broke also as it only generates one simple product when it should auto generate all simple products.  At least thats how I understand the word Auto Generate.  There is nothing automated about creating 120+ Simple Products individually one at a time.

Bug Tracker
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=1806

Magento Community
Magento Community

mwehrly

Total Posts:  22
U.S.A

You could always create an ecommerce solution from scratch.....or you could just use another open source solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Its funny you say that mwehrly because thats exactly what I’m doing.

I’ve already solved the attribute issue and I am able to store an unlimited number of attributes using only ONE record for each product.  I even developed a way to simplify and speed up search options like (category, color, price range, and brand.) To do this I switched from using the The Adjacency List Model and started using Tree Traversal Model allowing less recursion, and faster searches.

So I’m a week into my system now and I should be done by the end of this week since the difficult tasks are already behind me.

Also, I guess I owe Magento a little thanks because if they wouldn’t have screwed this up I would never have decided to develop my own.

Cheers,
~Grant

Magento Community
Magento Community

efterdal

Total Posts:  4

If you are so skilled, why didn’t you make it to work in Magento ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Mage is built using MVC and OOP.  Unfortunately I can’t help on that front.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Conyx Group

Total Posts:  66

@UltraFlux:

I agree the current Magento version is ONLY for VERY simple product structure, its impossible to develop a complex ecommerce store with many options...It’s sad, but the truth.

Read My Post: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/7352/

Magento Community
Magento Community

MunchyMonster

Total Posts:  71
New Hampshire, USA

Just an interesting observation.  I would have thought that things like clothing that are highly configurable (size, color, etc.) are very different from things like computers that are highly configurable (RAM, CPU, Drives, etc.).  One type has a wide variety of similar items that vary in a number of attributes that are important to the customer, but each item is indeed a concrete realization of some configuration of the attributes in question.  You can’t build a pair of pants by taking a size 10 sticking a boot cut onto it then attaching a womens.  Thta just isn’t how it works.  While the other is a construction built from parts and pieces, where the parts and pieces are the attributes of the configuration.

On the one hand (clothing example) I would imagine that you have many possible configurations but you only have a limited inventory of each item.  In this case Magento’s configurable item kinda makes sense.  I’ve only got 3 small blue t shirts, but I’ve got 6 small green t-shirts, etc. etc.  Maybe I’m out of large blue t-shirts.  You see what I mean?  Each of the underlying simple items associated with the configurable item can (and probably does) have it’s own inventory level.

On the other hand (the computer example) each “configuration” is really a collection of simple items.  Each item in the collection has it’s own inventory level, but that particular configuration isn’t just sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold.  You’ve got x ram sticks and y motherboards, and you can choose various types of each of these things to build what you want.  I’m fairly certain this is what “bundles” are for.

If you really are selling 14 different sizes of jeans and 10 different styles for 2 different genders, AND you have all of those in stock then yes you have 280 simple items you need to track.  But if you have all of those in stock at various stock levels don’t you also need to track each item?

If you are selling 14 different sizes of jeans and 10 different styles for 2 different genders, AND you are simply acting as a pass through or doing just in time ordering, or some other method where you do not actually keep an inventory, it seems like configurable items are a bit of a pain for what you want.  But “bundles” (as I hope and pray they will work) aren’t going to fix anything for you either.

In the case where you’ve got a huge variety of products but you don’t actually keep alot of ( or even any) inventory (drop shipping, just in time inventory control, etc.) what would be the best kind of item to use?  Let’s not restrain the conversation to what we have available (simple, configurable, grouped, and the much anticipated bundle items).  Let’s imagine a type of item that would be easy to work with in this environment and specify what we would want it to do and how one might do that within the scope of something LIKE Magento, but not neccessarily Magento as it exists now.

Just curious,
MunchyMonster

Magento Community
Magento Community

Conyx Group

@MunchyMonster: its a good point from an inventory point of view, but from a developing point of view its way too time consuming. We both know there are other more efficient ways to go about adding products with different sizes. The current magento version just doesnt work that well in this situation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MunchyMonster

Total Posts:  71
New Hampshire, USA

@ConyxGroup: Oh I agree that in practice the method that was chosen for configurable products is a bit daunting.  I’m just saying the theory wasn’t really that bad.  I mean, if you actually had physical products that you would have had to keep track of in inventory I can see where an argument for doing the things Magento did could be made.  They either didn’t consider other product models(I doubt it) or they didn’t have time to implement them yet (much more likely).  The forthcoming “Bundles” are evidence that it may have been the latter as opposed to the former.  Configurable products fill a niche in the vast multitude of product types that need to be representable.  I agree that Magento has only scratched the surface of the possible product types that users will want/need. 

But in thier defense they have built a nice modular system that should allow those with the intestinal fortitude to build pretty damn near anything we want.  I agree that things are rough right now.  But Magento is a newborn babe at this point.  I’m willing to play with it and see if I can teach it how to run, skip, jump, and maybe even fly.  But I’ve got to crawl with it and see if it can walk before we try any of that.

I’m betting before long modules will become available that do almost everything you might think of.  People are concentrating on payment gateways right now, but it won’t take long to have covered every way there is to pay for something twelve times over.  I’m forseeing shipping modules also getting a lot of attention.  When that dies down people are going to start playing with the guts and see what they can make this puppy do. 

When people start writing custom product modules, we are going to start realizing the true power and flexibility of this system (or become jaded by it’s shortcomings).  I’m like so many others at this point.  I’m dabbling my toes in the waters, using a shipping module as a toy project to get my feet wet.  After that I’m looking at a few custom payment modules.  But after that I’m going to start poking at the heart of things and see what I can change without breaking everything.

The best we can do is look at things and try to help each other figure out how it all works. 

Look forward to helping (and being helped by) you all,
MunchyMonster

Magento Community
Magento Community

Conyx Group

I agree with you monster, but it’s just frustrating at times knowing that simple functions are not available and/or missed and you have to spend hours trying to work around it.

Time will tell…

Magento Community
Magento Community

jstein

Total Posts:  44

I think a lot of people are in the same boat here. We sell shoes and our attributes include color and size, so for one product in 3 colors would end up being 33 simple products. And while I truly do love Magento, this feature is not that practical with certain businesses. I believe it would be much easier if they simply created an X vs Y table where I can simply checkmark all the combinations possible and then the system will autogenerate the simple products. Only problem is this would only work if you use 2 attributes. I’m sure the guys at Varien can come up with a better solution though. Do they plan on changing this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

wayoutwest

Total Posts:  11

I hate to say it, but I’m glad I found out about this before getting Magento installed.  Cart software I’ve been using handles it much more efficiently (and version of cart i use is an antique).  I’ve been looking to update to something with more current features, but looks like Magento isnt for me.  (I have hundreds of items that each have multiple options - with several items having as many as 15,000 variants once the multiple options are considered)

Cart i’ve been using basically does it like this:

create base product
create option and values list (along with any price adjustments for each and sku suffix to use for each)
create additional options and values if needed
save product
go to inventory management
select whether or not to track inventory on item
if tracking inventory on item, select whether or not to track it at the options level (if select yes, it automatically explodes the item into the all the variants)
if tracking inventory on item, input qty on hand of variants (if tracking by options) or qty on hand of base item (if not tracking by options)

quick and simple.

No offense intended, but I would suggest Magento developement team looks at PDGCart by PDGSoft for how they handle inventory and options.  (PDGCart has its own limitations, which is why I am switching to something else.  Just gotta find the right one).  It’s closed source, but can do a 30-day trial to give it a test drive to see how they handle things in the admin panel.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2