Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Coverting from XLS to CSV, problems with category number formatting… What the….!??!? 

dimecitycycles

Total Posts:  5

Ok...looking further into my problem with Magento hanging on upload I think I may have found the reason.

I keep my DB in a master XLS sheet and then copy out to a new CSV file and save it so I can upload.  I just noticed that when going from XLS to CSV my category numbers are getting all funky which is probably causing magento to bomb out.

[screen shot before saving as CSV] is below]

[screen shot after opening saved CSV is below as well notice it circled in yellow]

I’ve tried formating the cells every way I can think of.  I’ve tried copying them out to Notepad and then back into the CSV but I’m not getting anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Jason

Image Attachments
excel.jpgcsv.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jerwood

Total Posts:  42

Because I work in Excel all day, I run into junk like this all the time and thought I would take a stab at this.

If you are entering your IDs as 3-digit IDs that are only separated by commas in your Excel file, then I can almost guarantee that Excel is viewing what you intend to be a string as a gigantic number. One quick way to test it is to put an apostrophe in front of the string of IDs - forcing Excel to view this as text. That should more-than-likely solve your issue.

If not…

Your other problem could be that you have a ton of commas - and you are saving to “comma separated values.” Those commas could be seen in the CSV conversion as separators for the cell values. I believe in Excel when you export, you can specify what you want delimiting your values in the CSV file - you might try selecting TAB and see if the CSV file will interpret your data more accurately.

But, that doesn’t explain the 000,000,000,000 pattern in your CSV screenshot. I think that you are getting that result because Excel is seeing your string as a huge number.

Let me know, okay?

I can throw some more ideas at this if need be.

Jerwood

Magento Community
Magento Community

dimecitycycles

Total Posts:  5

Hi Jerwood..  Tried putting an ‘ in front of the text strings and it’s still doing it.  I also tried saving as a TAB delimited .TXT file but no dice either.

This is nuts....

Any more ideas?

Jason

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community