Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Modern Theme, PSD Files? 

-=marien=-

Total Posts:  24

Hi there,

I didn’t know where to put this so I might as well just put it in the designers section.

I really really like the modern template, but the frontpage images and such do not have PSD files included with the theme.

Could the core team put these up somewhere? Im no great designer but I like the standard look a lot to just adjust to my likings.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mayerwin

Total Posts:  182
France

I’m interested as well, this would be easier to start designing when we are not so good at it…

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Hi there,

I don’t know how to say it so I might just say it in here.
Next thing people will ask probably is, now that I have the PSD files, can the core team also release the Photoshop so that I can have the right tool to edit the PSD files?

Most designers don’t release the native files even clients paid for the design, there are various reasons, good and bad - what do you expect?

Please have common sense why the files didn’t release in the first place, and please have the decency to not ask something like this.

Those people!

Magento Community
Magento Community

telder4336

Total Posts:  21

You buy a template anywhere on the internet and they include the .PSD files. Almost any competent template maker does this as they know the core amount of users aren’t going to want to spend the hours and hours it takes to come up with all of the graphics, they may just want to tweak few here or there and call it good. What you said was assinine and pretty disrespectful to most of us who are here trying to use the product, as complex and difficult to work with as it is, so maybe next time you should think about what you are going to say before you say it??

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

You should go to buy a template then, instead of asking for yet another thing for free.

I am not a template maker, and though I cannot speak for Varien, I don’t think the company is a template maker - the theme is offer as it’s it, out of goodwill. It’s you who is disrespectful, not me - I meant, if you are the one who was asking Varien to release the source files.

If I sell template, that means everything in it has to be *original*, created by me, so that I will not be violating a photographer, an icon/vector art designer’s copyright , so that I can include the PSD file to whoever purchases it.
If I use a photo or an icon that I purchased from a place like iStockphoto, then I cannot sell the template, and I cannot release it, even though I spent 10 hours putting them in the Photoshop and make it to a theme deslign. By doing that, I will be violating others’ copyrights. What you were asking is disrespectful because you were asking Varien to violate someone’s copyright.

So maybe next time you should give the same advise to yourself, think about what are going to say before you say it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

The problem is, are they using Photoshop to design it??

Magento Community
Magento Community

telder4336

Total Posts:  21

So you guys can supply PSD files for the buttons that are used in the theme but you don’t have PSD files for the other graphics?? That makes no sense.....

Magento Community
Magento Community

slaction

Total Posts:  19

Yes all template come with PSD files.

No I’m not surprised the Magento team isn’t releasing them....that would make things easy, and as we’ve seen from themeing Magento...the team doesn’t like easy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobElings

Total Posts:  11

Hey I love the Modern Theme too (a lot). I think magento is truly amazing and not just for the fact that it’s free, but also the great community of users and developers. 

Now I did manage to change the pictures on the front page to my own needs, however..... NOW HERE IS THE QUESTION for you all..... Where on earth do I edit the actual homepage so that I can add links to my images ,and maybe even insert flash?

In CMS > Manage pages > Homepage, this is the only content: {{block type="core/template" template="sample/home.phtml"}}

I am puzzled in trying to locate the right file for editing. So any help would be very much appreciated.

Homepage so far: http://classicsofdevotion.com/index.php/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adam Moss

Total Posts:  248
Birmingham, UK

For those of you that are desperate you can download the modern theme button psds here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6432/

Magento Community
Magento Community

loraluks

Total Posts:  14

chinesedream - 07 May 2008 03:44 PM

Hi there,

I don’t know how to say it so I might just say it in here.
Next thing people will ask probably is, now that I have the PSD files, can the core team also release the Photoshop so that I can have the right tool to edit the PSD files?

Most designers don’t release the native files even clients paid for the design, there are various reasons, good and bad - what do you expect?

Please have common sense why the files didn’t release in the first place, and please have the decency to not ask something like this.

Those people!

If you don’t know how to say it.. better not say it. (Unless you wanted to make some “not so smart” comments with the purpose to promote your commercial themes.)

Discovered this thread searching for Magento modern theme psd.

If not for your vivid imagination, i’m certain no one who is using Magento would ask such kind of a question regarding Photoshop tool. I’m not sure if you are the person who did develop that theme. If you didn’t then it’s better you not say anything.

A PSD would be a good start for newbies into Magento to make the site a bit more customized, and I believe that is the only purpose for people asking for the PSD. Save your comments for some place else.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webkul

Total Posts:  159

Basic tutorial to convert psd to magento :http://vipinsahu.com/magento-psd-to-magento/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community