Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How imported images “More views”

Reborn Project

Total Posts:  132

Hello

I would like to know how imported images for “More views” via my import file ?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

magnet0

Total Posts:  29
Heraklion, Crete

Have you found a solution ?

Thank you
Yiannis

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

Total Posts:  22

I am coming across this same problem, seems like when you import the “More views” mini icons are not showing up at all, however if you create an import manually it shows fine.  Anybody have any luck on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

june23

Total Posts:  30

I’m having the same problem too..Anybody who already know how images automatically put on “more views” when importing?..Please share a little bit of info about this, I really appreciate any help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

Can someone reply to this and just let us know if they are having the same issue or not at all so that we can see if this is a cockpit error.  Megento is a good product but damn the community support is SLOWWWWWWWWWWW.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

Total Posts:  588

take a good look at the image in this post:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6220/

hope that this was what you were looking for, g’luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

There are two images in this post.  1 of them has the same problem the other is not what I’m looking for.  Anybody that has EVER done an import, please reply and let us know your experience.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

how are you importing then? By CSV?

store    SKU      Image_small   image_medium   image_large
default 0001     /main_view.jpg   /main_view.jpg   /main_view.jpg
default 0001     /view2.jpg         /view2.jpg      /view2.jpg

gives me more views/images

Perhaps you could be more specific in how and what you are trying to accomplish?

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

OK, maybe there is not a clear understanding of the issue.  I guess there are two issues, but one fix will more than likely fix the other.  Here it is…
When you manually add a product in Magento, you will see the main image, plus the SAME image below, which you can click on and it gives you the enlarged image.  This is the standard way Magento functions.  However say I import the same product with only 1 image, smaller SAME image is not appearing.

Adding a second view is a different issue but the problem is that whole area is just simply missing, I don’t have a MORE VIEWS SECTION at all!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

ah now I see! Very strange I may have a solution.

1. after upload, click the selection rounds for the LAST image on Base Image, Small Image and Thumbnail
--> Save and Edit
2. now click the selection rounds for the FIRST image on Base Image, Small Image and Thumbnail
--> Save and Edit

I have no idea why but this seems to work. Perhaps this is needed to make the images smaller and place them in cache???

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

Thanks, but that didn’t work, and that is not even close to a solution when I have hundreds of products.  At that rate I might as well just upload the images.  Either way, it didn’t do anything for it

Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

I am uploading images through admin backend for each of my configurable products.  I have decided to do it this way as configurable products already require manual editing to associate simple products to it.

I am assigning the one image as thumbnail, small image and base image and letting magento upload and create the re-sized images and paths for me.  So far so good.

For each product that is part of a range, I have a universal image for each range, showing the various sizes and colours.  I also add this image through the backend admin.  I want to use this same image as a “more views” image for more than 1 product, say 6 products that share common features but vary in size. 

From the front end, the thumbnail, small and base images all appear as expected as well as under the base image I see a thumbnail for the base image and a thumbnail for the other (range) image.  So far so good.

Now when I do the same for the next product and add an image for the thumbnail, small image and base image, and then the (range) image, and allow magento to upload and create, it uploads the image for the new product and adds a duplicate of the (range) image to the directory.  In this case \media\catalog\product\v\i

By the time I have finished I will have a nice functioning frontend but for each range there is likely to be an image duplicated up to 6 to 10 times each.

Rather than upload the (range) “more views” image over and over again, i would rather just edit somewhere the relative url/path for the one original image in each case.

So if someone knows where/how magento addresses the path to the “more views” images your assistance is much appreciated. Unfortunately importing/exporting only covers the 3 main images: thumbnail/small/base, and not “more views” images.

I had thought of incorporating this image in the description, but using a relative path rather than a full address, as I am creating on a local host and don’t want to have to go back and edit hundreds of descriptions once I go live.

Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

If anybody knows anything about more views please let us know!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

june23

Total Posts:  30

The solution is not really easy, you have to modify some codes to make the images appear on “More Views”. But somehow I have successfully done it with the help of our programmer. I’ll try to explain and post the codes after I get it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

In response to my own issue with multiple copies of the same image being uploaded for a range of products, I have decided to allow Magento to upload a copy of the required image for each instance of the product and once that is done I will use phpmyadmin to edit the name of the image in the database.

When you upload images for “more views” for a product through admin catalog/product, the images are created in the folder structure of your magento install like this
path\media\catalog\product\m\y\myimage.jpg

where the folders m and y are created based on, in this case, the first two letters of the image file name.

My problem is that I want to use the same image for several products, and in the absence of an easy way to do this I am forced to upload it manually multiple times, creating multiple instances in the database of the same image.
My solution is to log into the database and manually edit the field ‘value’ in the ‘Catalog product media gallery table’ and rename all the copies of ‘myimage_1’, ‘myimage_2’, myimage_3’ etc to ‘myimage’ (the original first one).

I have done this manually for the first range of products and am now looking to use a sql query to do it in a batch. A simple update query should do the trick, just struggling with the correct syntax at the moment.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community