Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

UK Tax calculation issues

cleverhomes

Total Posts:  15

Hi JT

Did you get this working (with the postcode for Jersey & Guernsey setting the correct VAT rate) ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

majacore

Total Posts:  53

any one figure out a way to manually set the tax or the tax class or the tax percentage via php ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

360tvr

East Kilbride

We’ve just installed code that will correctly check and validate an EU VAT number then assign a customer to an appropriate tax group, i.e. UK VAT exempt for EU member state transactions with a valid EU VAT number.

We’re submitting this as an extension to Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

drewclarke

Total Posts:  17

I really look forward to seeing this! \o/

I’m guessing that for UK companies its not mandatory to enter that info?

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Hi,

I’ve just finished a commercial extension which handles the issue of charging channel island customers zero vat, without having to moving around countries, etc.

<removed>

Some of you may know me as the author of Auctionmaid Matrixrate, which filters based on Postcode to solve a lot of the UK issues around posting to places like the Channel Islands.

Contact me for more info at enquiries@auctionmaid.com

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

majacore

Total Posts:  53

No releases available for package “connect.magentocommerce.com/community/Auctionmaid_Matrxrate”
Cannot initialize ‘channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/community/Auctionmaid_Matrxrate’, invalid or missing package file
Install Errors
Package “channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/community/Auctionmaid_Matrxrate” is not valid
PEAR ERROR: install failed

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Majacore, sounds like you are having some issues with your Magento Connect.  Maybe you want to post on the matrixrate forum as opposed to this thread and I’ll see if I can help.  I’m certainly not aware of any issues, this code has been stable for quite some time.

Rgds

Karen

majacore - 31 March 2009 12:00 AM

No releases available for package “connect.magentocommerce.com/community/Auctionmaid_Matrxrate”
Cannot initialize ‘channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/community/Auctionmaid_Matrxrate’, invalid or missing package file
Install Errors
Package “channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/community/Auctionmaid_Matrxrate” is not valid
PEAR ERROR: install failed

Magento Community
Magento Community

drewclarke

Total Posts:  17

Hi Karen

Does this new VAT function install via connect? Or is it a code hack?

Regards

Andrew

Magento Community
Magento Community

Olof

Total Posts:  152

Has anyone successfully deployed a solution to check for valid EU VAT numbers and remove VAT?

Rich

Magento Community
Magento Community

360tvr

East Kilbride

Yes, we have a fully functioning module that correctly checks validity of an EU VAT number and assigns a tax class accordingly. you can test it on our store at www.360tacticalvr.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

Going to sound stupid, but if I upload a csv file to magento using the “import tax rates” feature it says “successful” but then there arent any rates set up or anything? I dunno how to attache the file to show you it tho…

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

Not to worry, solved it. Had a 0 instead of a * in one field.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

For those still struggling or stumbling upon this thread looking for a solution....

I solved our situation beautifully with the very simple addition of this module:

http://webshopapps.com/index.php/extensions/channel-islands-vat.html

Note that Isle of Man attracts normal VAT as if it was Hampshire. So as explained clearly there, you only need Jersey and Guernsey. Done in 10 minutes, brilliant. Thanks Karen @ WebShopApps

I’ll be checking out a few of the other must-have UK extensions too. The generic courier tracker is something I’ve wanted for ages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kdeelstra

Total Posts:  14

I reopned this isues by making a new ticket:

http://magento.uservoice.com/pages/24441-magento-community-edition-roadmap/suggestions/367397-proper-eu-vat-support-with-vat-id-verification?ref=title

please vote to also resolve this for other EU country shop owners!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spez86

Total Posts:  22

Chris K - 20 January 2009 07:14 AM

Attached is the CSV tax table please have a look - BE WARNED I am not an expert and this is used at your own risk! ALSO if you open the CSV file in EXCEL you may run into problems. (i used a combo of excel and bbedit to get this to work)

I’d like to hear thoughts on the solution and if I’ve made any glaring errors!

Hi Guys,

I’m using Magento 1.4 and I’ve managed to modify the exported CSV spreadsheet to include all those tax rates you attached, which you can then import via Import/Export tax rates. It appears to work with Excel as long as the CSV is in “Comma Delimited” format.

It does appear to work fine in Magento, but there are 2 countries with invalid codes according to Magento. I’m just trying to figure out which ones! If anybody would like this CSV file, just PM and I’ll attach it.

On a separate note, somebody has also written a similar question on another forum; I have a UK store selling food for which some products like Crips and Nuts have standard 17.5% VAT on, and others, like the vast majority of food, are Zero Rated. I ship worldwide, so outside the EU everything is Zero Rated anyway.

The problem is, I have a bag of crisps for example which is £0.43 + VAT or £0.50 inclusive of VAT. This works fine for EU customers, but any customer outside the EU (because it’s all Zero Rated) pays £0.43. I’d normally still charge £0.50, but the way Magento is working it out means I’m losing 7p on every NON-EU Export.

Is this right?

Thanks guys.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community