Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Limiting available shipping choices on a per item basis. 

PCGamesPlus

Total Posts:  166
Sacramento, CA

I am wondering if there is a way to limit available shipping choices for the customer on a “per item” basis. For example. If I sell something that weighs 2 pounds and it is printed material it is eligible for the USPS media mail rate. If I sell a piece of computer hardware that weighs 2 pounds it is not eligible for USPS’s media mail rate because it isn’t printed material. So it would need to be sent parcel post at the least. My problem is that the media mail rate is still given as a choice for the computer hardware. Of course the cusomer is going to go for the lowest price shipping, If USPS finds that the package doesn’t qualify for the media mail rate I would either have to eat the additional postage or the package could possibly be returned. I think if the was an attribute that would disqualify items for media mail on the backend would be great. I don’t want to turn it of entirely either because compared to parcel post, media mail is very inexpensive for shipping printed items. Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I could really use something like this as well.  We use table rate shipping and our prices are very reasonable for customers.  On most items we break even or lose a few dollars on the shipping, which is fine with us and customers love it.  However, there are some items that are either bulky or heavy (or both), and can cost us into the hundreds to ship.  If we didn’t charge the customer for that, it would kill every bit of our profit and even go into our cost for the item.  There’s no point in selling product that you just lose money on.  So on our current site we disable those items from being put into the shopping cart and ask the customer to call us to place the order over the phone.  A better solution would be to specify a different shipping method just for those items, or maybe a shipping surcharge on just those items in addition to the regular shipping charges.

Magento Community
Magento Community

A Blessed Man

Total Posts:  2
Arizona

Has anything been done regarding this topic?  Media Mail is showing up for me as well, even when items are not Media Mail.  Is there some way to mark product so that it only shows correct shipping methods?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community