Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Size Attribute

UltraFlux

Total Posts:  38

I want to sell clothing however specifically Jeans which do not carry a traditional size like s,m,l,xl.xxl

The only way to sell Jean requires the users input for their size. ex: 28 - 46 say (18 sizes)

There must be a way to do this as I can not see Magento releasing a stable ecommerce system without handling basic functions for ordering.

Any suggestions how I go about this.....

Thanks,
G

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Ok I did some more testing however the results are not promising.

The only way to have clothing, jeans in my case, or any other products which use a specific attribute will require an insane amount of simple products.

For Example:
1 Pair of Jeans:
size: 28 - 46 (18 sizes)
colors: 3 ( light, dark, black)

This results in 54 simple products to simply sell one item.  My only response is how did this get by alpha and beta testing....

Possible Categories:
shoes, shorts, jeans, hats, womens shoes, dress sizes, or realistically any products with more than five options

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Anyone have a solution for this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brett

Total Posts:  121

We’re all in the same boat man. I can’t figure out how magento released without something so basic as options handling… Considering what a great piece of software it is, it’s really strange that they wouldn’t have thought to include some good handling of customizable options.

It’s like if I gave you a ferrari but then told you it doesnt have power windows.

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Additional Testing

Creating Shorts
Size: ( 28 - 42 ) 14 options
Color: ( white, brown, black) 3 options

Attribute Set: Shorts
Product Type: Configurable

Select Configurable Attributes:
Color, Waist, Gender, Manufacture - 4 options

Error:
When using Quick Simple Product Creation
Color, Waist, Gender, Manufacture - Do not carry Over ( I have to enter these options every single time! x 42 times minimum )
Weight, Status, Visibility, Quantity, Stock Availability - Carry Over

Why can it not auto-generate ( I have to make this all individually )
billabong-shorts-a-White-28 - billabong-shorts-a-White-42

Better yet why can`t we simply have a sliding scale for each product
28 - 42 without creating an additional 14 product entries for one size range

I noticed the numbers and words listed in Attributes are random ( rather than alphabetical or numerical )
Green is before Brown.....
42 is before 29.....

Unable to add Manufacture to Configurable Item
You have to add it to each Simple Product x 42
Rather than adding it once to the Configurable Product Settings

So ultimately this open source ecommerce package is an administrative nightmare.  Taking upwards of two hours to add a product with attribute like waist size, color, gender, and manufacturer.  Its great from a users perspective however its broken from an administrators perspective.  84 products items to represent ONE actual product.

The worst part I can`t believe how any of these bugs made it past BETA

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daniel_79

Total Posts:  23

Sortorder or position can be set in admin for each alternative on the attribute.
Cataloge ->Attributer -> Manage attributes

Select the attribute you want to change
click on manage label / options

set “position” to the order you want

as for the manufacturer, I think you can set the attribute settings for that so it dosnt get on the simple product but rather on the main product, but I didn’t test that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdfsdfdsfsdf
Magento Team

Total Posts:  4

Quick Simple Product Creation”
If Color, Waist, Gender and Manufacturer are not displatying in this section, please make sure that that you have selected these as “configurable attributes”. For every configurable product, you designate the configurable attributes prior to entering the product intormation. If these attributes are not listed as options to select when selecting configurable attributes, you must change the settings for each attribute. There is box on the configurable attribute page listing the requirements. The Scope must be Global, the Input Type must be Dropdown, and Use to Create Configurable Products must be Yes. If this is not what you are referring to, please clarify what you mean by “do not carry over”.

Unable to add Manufacturer to Configurable Item:
If you want the Configurable product to have a fixed value for Manufacturer, then you do not want this to be a configurable attribute. When selecting the configurable attributes for this product, do not select manufacturer as one of them. It should now appear in the product creation page. If it still does not appear here, navigate to catalog > attributes > manage attributes and select manufacturer. in the “apply to” dropdown, select “all product types”. Or, select “selected product types” and make sure that “configurable product” is highlighted in the list directly below.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community