Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Tips for speeding up godaddy’s vds

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

Ok,
So today I had the delightful pleasure of testing a v1.0 installation on a Godaddy Virtual Dedicated Server. This was not one of our servers, but I was installing it on someone else’s vds account so they could play around with it for the weekend. Installation was fine, as the VDS from godaddy is pretty up to date. No hassle’s there. However, when we tried running magento on it with a REALLY small sample data set, the thing was ridiculously slow. I mean, all the other pony’s were on the blocks and this thing hadn’t even left the gate slow, which was pretty worrisome. Since, I know that Magento can be a pretty fast solution in the right environment, I thought for sure a vds from godaddy can handle it. Well, when I used top in putty to check out what was going on, it was just laughable. load average was 40.0. 33.0, 38.0 and the cpu was at about 300%. No wonder the thing wouldn’t run, it was damn near dead. The vds didn’t even have a domain on it. It was fresh. Anyway, for anyone wanting to know why the vds from godaddy was so slow, here’s a nice little story:

http://www.colinmcnamara.com/2008/02/03/why-godaddy-linux-virtual-dedicated-hosting-sucks-how-to-fix-it

Turns out godaddy runs their simple control panel in poorly written java and tomcat which was consuming about ninety-some percent of all resources. Pretty smart, huh. The short answer: turn ‘em off. Sure simple control panel makes setting up dns, domains and email a snap, so turn it on when you need to do these things, but turn it off as soon as you are done. After I did that we started playing around with it and the load averages were 0.17, 0.18, 0.15.

Anyway, just thought I’d throw this out there in case any one is wondering why their godaddy vds is SO slow. Just goes to show that just because your magento installation is slow, doesn’t mean its magento. I know the Godaddy VDS is popular in terms of price and what you get, but I was floored when I read the post. I mean, seriously, when their control panel uses 218M of memory on a VDS that has 256M, what do they think is going to happen. Btw, I tried to post in the wiki, but wouldn’t let me.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

dan_w - 18 April 2008 12:53 PM

load average was 40.0. 33.0, 38.0 and the cpu was at about 300%.

[...]

Turns out godaddy runs their simple control panel in poorly written java and tomcat which was consuming about ninety-some percent of all resources.

[..]

After I did that we started playing around with it and the load averages were 0.17, 0.18, 0.15.

Wow. That’s incredible in more than one way.

One, that they would use Java/JSP for a control panel (considering how resource intensive it is). Two, that the panel isn’t external (so it wouldn’t raise your resources up at all). And three, that when you disabled that how much of a difference it made in the load.

At the original load you posted, I’m surpised you were even able to do anything at all! Still amazed at how much of a difference that made, but glad you got that reduced.

dan_w - 18 April 2008 12:53 PM

Just goes to show that just because your magento installation is slow, doesn’t mean its magento.

Nail on head.

By the way, do you have a link to the store, I’d like to see how it runs on GD’s VPS.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

Total Posts:  141

You can see how slow mine is… it’s running on that configuration.

I’m planning on making those changes ASAP.

Thanks for the tips…

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

I just tried to ssh into my Godaddy acct. and it keeps timing out.

Any other trick to getting this done?

Thanks,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Man, you’re right. That is incredibly slow when the panel is still turned on.

What SSH program are you using to access your VPS?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

I use Terminal. I’ll be moving my hosting shortly due to this slowness and GD not willing to do anything about it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Ah, well I was going to recommend PuTTY. Free and lightweight:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Most likely the port they use is different (some use 22, some use 2222, etc.).

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

Cool.... thanks.

Terminal is free too…

Best,

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Total Posts:  218

I’ve got a somewhat related question regarding godaddy and virtual dedicated servers -

I have a non-assisted VDS with them I’ve uploaded the app, but I’m unclear on what needs to be done to set it up.  I’m not a coder - I’m a designer.  I’m trying to get this thing up so I can figure out how it works and open my own store.  Is there anyone who might be able to provide some insight in to what needs to be done on a godaddy VDS regarding setup?

Right now, this is the only sight on there and I’ve set up the domain and am trying to start the installation process but all I get is

Bad Gateway
Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

I’m no server guru at all but I can find my way around.  Can anyone help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kingkao

Total Posts:  50
Toronto

Can someone help me out with this.
Whenever I put my server IP from godaddy or the domain, it always times out on me.
Any kind of configurations I need to change?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community