Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
Shipping Configuration with UPS XML

leetaylordoes

Total Posts:  227
San Diego, CA

Hey All,

Great work and I’m glad it’s working for you tparsons.

Our client has not the resources for us to go in and customize the rules regarding implementing negotiated rates they have with UPS. Thus, we’ve decided to go a different route with shipping, as we’ve been unable to get the UPS XML to bring in any different rates than the normal daily rates.

Our client uses Worldship from UPS to get their rates appropriately configured. We were trying to switch out of that to use Magento. Unfortunately, no luck yet. We’re hesitant to customize any rules.

Can I simply ask what the purpose for the UPS XML shipping method in Magento is for? Is it not for “negotiated rates” for companies that have an agreement with UPS?
If it is, then I believe UPS should apply the negotiated rates via XML into Magento to use. Correct?
If they aren’t, then can someone communicate the actual purpose?

Thanks,
Lee

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

So we’ve heard back from UPS and found the following:

- the online UPS Shipping Calculator/Estimator doesn’t include negotiated shipping rates (whether logged in or not)
- UPS’ has a supported Application, “Worldship” where negotiated rates can be applied (unless customized into another 3rd party app)

Thus, we’ve found that negotiated rates cannot be applied via Magento UPS XML, as UPS doesn’t allow those rates to be applied this way. Because UPS does use Worldship to apply the rates, maybe there’s an integration available?
Check this out: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/offering/technology/automated_shipping/worldship/integrate.html

I’ve seen talk of building out a Worldship extension into Magento. Any news on it? I’m tied up and unable to dig in unless our client desires to have it done, in which case we’d be glad to share our findings with the Magento Community.

Any news/ideas?

Thanks,
Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Another thought to add in relation to the process flow,

The integration seems to address only POST-purchase order completion integration. (labeling and packaging)
In order to get negotiated rates, we need to find the source that Worldship gets the rates from to apply the rates PRIOR purchase overview before the checkout process begins.

Thus, I don’t believe any of their pre-developed integration techniques will work correctly with Magento.

Anyone disagree...or agree?

Thanks,
Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

bott

Total Posts:  53
Provo, UT

I have been able to successfully integrate with UPS to retrieve rates as well as create shipments. It required a fair amount of development to add this functionality into what is already present in Magento (release 1.0), but I am willing to contribute this code back to the community.

Key points to keep in mind with UPS integration:
- You must register with UPS to obtain an access key and the required access to their web services. Upon doing this you will have access to the documentation describing the details of the web services, where to point magento, etc. As has been noted already in this post, the URLs that I got working are different from the default ones in Magento, but the documentation will clarify that for you.
- There are separate services for Rates, Tracking, and Shipping that you must register for and be approved to use.
- In order to create shipments and receive a shipping label back from UPS, I integrated with the UPS Ship XML service. It is very robust and allows you to ship with a 3rd party UPS account, negotiated rates, and basically any option provided by UPS (insurance, confirmation, customs forms, etc.)

For more information on what I have developed for shipping, please see my post in the FedEx group (it refers to my UPS integration):
http://www.magentocommerce.com/group/blog/action/viewpost/357/group/207/

Also, feel free to ask if you have any other specific questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bott

Provo, UT

Something else I forgot to mention about UPS XML...It appears that the UPS URL has changed since version 1.0 was released (see my previous post) and so the default XML URLs did not work for me. The following are the URLs I am using:

Rates:  https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate
Tracking:  https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Track

I discovered however that the certificate for these sites is not completely valid, so the curl call that the code is using errors out when trying to connect in its release 1.0 state. To fix this, open up app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/Ups.php and search for ‘

$xmlResponse curl_exec($ch);

Right above that you need to set some curl options to ignore SSL cert errors, so add the following 2 lines (you will see some others that are similar):

curl_setopt($chCURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOSTfalse);
curl_setopt($chCURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEERfalse);

Alternatively you can read the documentation at http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.curl-setopt.php to determine how to authorize the UPS certificate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Great work @bott,

Just left a comment on your blog inside the FedEx Group.
We’re very excited to see this being worked on.

Is there any way we can help?

Also for clarification, is the following functionality implemented in what you have already?
- the ability to see “negotiated rates” within the “Estimated Shipping and Tax” block
- the ability to have “negotiated rates” applied within the checkout process?

Thanks for all your work,
Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Hi All,

I’m coming with another question in regards to the UPS Shipping XML configuration.

We’re getting 3 different rates from UPS, which are outlined in the following:
- via the UPS Online Calculater (at the UPS website) WITHOUT being logged in (Highest rates)
- via the UPS Online Calculater (at the UPS website) WITH being logged in (Medium rates)
- via Worldship (which are our negotiated rates) (Lowest Rates)

Thus, instead of pursuing Worldship integration with Magento to get our negotiated rates, we are looking into how we can get the next lowest rates. The way we’re getting them is by logging into the UPS calculator and using our Account ID/number. There isn’t a place to add the Account ID/number as a field inside Magento unless done with customization I’m guessing.

Has anyone been able to use this inside of Magento via having done any customization at this point?
Does anyone have information regarding this idea?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

So here’s the direction we need to take:

- We need to add in our ACCOUNT # as a parameter directly integrated with the UPS Shipping information that gets sent.
(It will allow us to get our rates associated with our account, rather than the daily UPS standard rate.)

We have not yet received the UPS Developer’s Kit, and thus, don’t know what or how to send the Account # over to UPS.

Has anyone tackled this yet? If not, does anyone have information (via the Developer’s Kit until we get it) that would provide the guidelines we’d need to get this accomplished?

Also, would anyone else benefit from this as well?

Thanks,
- Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

GuidoTaglia

Total Posts:  57

HI everybody !!! I’m Guido, form Italy. sorry if my English is not so good but I really need your help about setting UPS shipping xml..
( I’m on last version of magento: 1.0.19870)

I have the XML access key from UPS.
I have a username
I have an account password.

I’m using these 2 Gateway XML URL :
https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate
https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Track

I changed on Ups.php ( as “Bott” wrote ) adding :
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, false);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, false);

before
$xmlResponse = curl_exec($ch);

... BUT ANYWAY UPS DEOS NOT WORK..
Is it possible this service works just in USA ?  What alse can I do for the ups module ??

I just need to set the shipments to start with my shop.. PLEASE, I REALLY YOUR NEED HELP !

Magento Community
Magento Community

GuidoTaglia

ps. My host is http://www.ixwebhosting.com ... any idea ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Hey @GuidoTaglia,

Have you requested that your account be moved over to the UPS production server, as opposed to the test server they start you out on?

Let us know.

- Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

bott

Provo, UT

@GuidoTaglia,

What I would recommend doing is echoing the XML document that you are submitting ($xmlRequest that is being sent via the curl command) and the response you receive back ($xmlResponse that is returned from the curl command). I have found that the UPS error messages that are returned are fairly helpful in tracking down issues. If you are still uncertain of what is causing a failure, post the request and response here and we will try and help you out.

You may find that the ShipXML portion of the app is actually working and the problem lies elsewhere.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GuidoTaglia

I’ve contacted my Hosting technical support and also the UPS !!
Al moment I’m waiting for their replays ..

<< Have you requested that your account be moved over to the UPS production server, as opposed to the test server they start you out on? >>

- No. I have NOT an exact idea about what you wrote. Do I have to ask to UPS to move my account over the UPS production server ?

<< What I would recommend doing is echoing the XML document that you are submitting >>

- Where can I copy this UPS error messages ? Where can I see “ the response I receive back ($xmlResponse ”

Thanks and sorry if I’m not wery good on this,

Magento Community
Magento Community

katiek648

Total Posts:  33

Has anyone else gotten the UPS XML to work? If so, can you provide the steps you took to get this going. I have tried everything suggested in this thread, except for contacting UPS to switch to production server which I just sent in a request now.

Things I have done so far:
1) Changed URLs to:
https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate
https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Track

2) Updated curl script on UPS.php file

3) Entered Access Key, username, password

When I test the “Estimated Shipping and Tax” box it gives me the regular quote, not our discounted quote.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

GuidoTaglia

I’m steel waiting the 2nd UPS phonecall but ( here in Italy ) they told me the Access Key I downloaded on ups.com does not work at moment. They have to generate a new specific key ..
They told me when this “will be ready” the technical support will call me back..

is this possible ? I hope so because my provider wrote me to speak with UPS

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4