Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Shipping Configuration with UPS XML

leetaylordoes

Total Posts:  227
San Diego, CA

Hi all,

We are desiring to use UPS to ship with our discounted shipping rates (exclusive to our account with UPS). I’m assuming we need to use UPS’ “online tools” and place the ACCESS KEY and credentials into the UPS XML section inside the Magento Admin.

Is this the correct approach? Is there more that needs to take place?

I’m still not getting the rates to be available that we need. So I’m thinking there’s a different approach to this.
It’d be great to get some Magento documentation up on this.

If we get it figured out, we’ll be happy to add to it.

Thanks for your help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

Did you select UPS type as UPS XML?
Also make sure with UPS that they put you on a production server, and not the test server

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Thanks for the reply @Lior,

1. Yes, we’ve selected UPS XML and filled in (what we thought was) the correct information.
Is there any need to use UPS “online tools” to get our discounted rates being applied automatically?

2. I’m not sure how UPS has us set up. Having not used UPS for long, I hadn’t realized we needed to specify a specific server for our rates to be applied via XML. It doesn’t make much sense to me how this would effect the rates, if we’ve been using the discounted rates via WorldShip. Can you explain? I’ll also send in a request to check with UPS.

Thanks for your assistance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

To be able to get your discounted rates, you do need to use the XML service.

I would recommend that you contact your representative in UPS and have him check it for you, and make sure that you have all proper information for the configuration

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Thanks Lior,

I will do this and am waiting on their response for sure. Do you concur that in order to get our discounted prices configured into Magento correctly, all we need to do is have the UPS XML section/fields configured correctly?

Is there anything more that we’ll need to do?

Also, for testing purposes, I changed our “UserId” to be incorrectly spelled. I saved in the Admin suite, looked at the frontend, and the rates didn’t change at all (within the Checkout page->"Estimate Shipping and Tax").

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

I was wondering, how has the UPS XML been tested?
Has using discounted rates via UPS been accomplished before?

If so, is there any documentation on the steps involved?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Also,

Will the following need to be changed to match our account by chance?

1. Gateway XML URL
2. Tracking XML URL

Or are these general url locations that can be used for all accounts (but allows specific account access via credentials included in UPS XML fields)?

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

In realizing that many will probably be attempting the same, if not already, can I recommend Magento towards applying to be a UPS Ready Program?

Follow: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/offering/technology/alliances.html

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

Total Posts:  141

∆BUMP

I have the same problem.

I have the XML access key from UPS.
I have a username. (Is this supposed to be your account username?)
I have an account password.
I have an account number too.

But all I get is a major UPS error.

I contacted UPS and they said it has something to do with the third party software. (Magento)

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

@ timothyleetaylor

UPS XML was tested with our UPS account
The URLs for Gateway and Tracking should be as they are

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

Hi All,

I’ve received the following response from UPS Technical Support Team:

Subject: UPS OnLine Tools Technical Support request

Response 04/19/2008 12:43 PM
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. Many shopping cart providers use UPS OnLine Tools, which are a suite of e-commerce systems used to provide UPS functionality on web sites. While each company uses the same basic tools, the way they are integrated is unique to each site. Due to these differences, we are unable to provide support for a specific company’s web site.

One thing to know is that our server sends back rate data based on information we receive from the shopping cart provider. If you have negotiated rates with UPS, your provider must request, in the XML code they send to our server, that we return negotiated rates.

I apologize that I am not personally able to help you with this matter. Please contact your shopping cart provider for assistance.

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

UPS Technical Support”

I believe we are left with getting support entirely from the Magento community.
Getting this to work is huge for us.
I look forward to getting a setup configuration that works and documenting this for the entire Magento community.

Any recent findings?

- Timothy

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

∆ Same response I got from UPS

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

FROM UPS======================================

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your inquiry. In the XML code, you need to include the user ID and password that you used to register for UPS OnLine Tools.

You will find the correct URLs on page 25 of the developers guide for rates and on page 27 in the guide for tracking.

Ann Solomon
UPS Technical Support
===============================================

For Rates
should be-->> https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate

was auto set in Magento -->> https://www.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate

For Tracking
should be-->> https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Track

was auto set in Magento -->> https://www.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Track

I’m still getting errors so I have no idea what’s really going on. Hopefully we hear from the Magento team soon.

Thanks,

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

FROM UPS=================================
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your response. Once you have completed your testing and your client application is ready for production, the document combination (XML) should be sent to the following URL: https://onlinetools.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate

If you are having issue, to further assist you, please provide your complete XML request and response files associated with the error as an attachment to your reply to this email. Please place both the request and reply into a single ZIP file before sending them to us. Simply copying the coding into an e-mail makes it unusable for troubleshooting. We also need your UPS account number. Once we receive this information, we will be able to address your issue in the most efficient manner.

Francisco Plascencia
UPS Technical Support
==========================================

So from what it looks like is that possibly while Magento 1.0 was being finished up UPS changed it’s settings for production connections to it’s Rate and Tracking checking. I would probably assume that the code base for Magento was set to ride on the old version. This is probably why we’re all getting these errors at this time.

If there is someone that can take a deeper look at this it would be a huge help. I’m not a programmer so my technical expertise in this area is very low.

Thanks,

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

San Diego, CA

So Tparsons,

Looks like you’re getting a bit further with UPS than we are. Nice work.

I back you on this, and hope we’ll get this figured out as soon as possible. I believe we will if Lior and the Development team are able to make time to address this.

Interestingly enough, I’ve been getting the same shipping results with the following:
- UPS XML enabled
- the changes you’ve made note of (via UPS Dev Kit)
- by using correct AND incorrect login credentials. (No errors on my part, just the same results showing up on the frontend.)

I was thinking something would falter if the incorrect login credentials were used - but nothing happens. I wonder if the UPS XML is even getting passed through - or if the consistent (default UPS daily) rates are showing up via bypassing the UPS XML config.

Hope we get this issue resolved tomorrow.

Thanks for your persistence all.
- Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

UPDATE

I installed on a dedicated virtual server from Mediatemple yesterday here http://www.industrialjoe.com/dev/

IT WORKED!!!!!

Obviously now we know that it has something to do with the GODADDY hosting environment not the code from MAGENTO.

Nope… I don’t know what caused it on the GODADDY acct. I’m not going to take the time to find out either because their servers suck slow ass big time.

Thanks Magento team for the help.

Best,

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4