Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Cant able to upload images in CMS(The directory is not writable by server.)

prem19

Total Posts:  7

Hi,
I am facing this error when i try to upload images under CMS -> Static blocks/pages( Admin). I get “The directory is not writable by server.” and cant able to upload images.
Any help on this ??

Image Attachments
ms.png

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

russellalbin

Total Posts:  3
Omaha

The solution is to change just one setting in admin :

System -> Configuration -> General -> Content Management -> Use Static URLs for Media Content in WYSIWYG for Catalog to Yes

Dont forget to clear the caches when your done!

Magento Community
Magento Community

prem19

Hi ,
Thanks for your reply. But i did the same as you said and it still shows me the same error..I cant add images in cms tab..
Any other alternatives??

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pulkit Seth

Total Posts:  107

Hi,

Please try to change the media folder and wysiwyg folder permission to 777 and then try to upload the images.

Thanks
Pulkit

Magento Community
Magento Community

prem19

Hi thanks for your response,

Now its working i havent change the permission setting. I just simply created a new folder and added images under it and now its working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

KrisCoady

Total Posts:  39

Creating the new folder and uploading images to it worked for me too. Didn’t change any permissions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmbertucci

Total Posts:  2

This thread was mostly helpful but I wasn’t 100% clear what folder people were talking about.  A little trial/error based on the comments above posters helped me.

When trying to add an image through the WYSIWYG, like on a CMS page, I got the \"The directory is not writable by server.\” error.  The pop-up page only showed a folder icon called \"Storage Root\”.  Not terribly helpful.  Also, there wasn\’t a whole lot out on Google explaining what folder uploaded images goes to (most searches returned results for product images).

There should be a folder called:

/media

In this folder, there should be a folder called:

/media/wysiwyg

Mine was missing.  I\’m using Magento 1.8 CE.  Creating the folder called \"wysiwyg\" inside of \"/media\" solved that problem.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear for others who didn\’t quite understand what folder had to be created were.

Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

yuriymos

Total Posts:  11

jmbertucci - 25 November 2013 04:00 PM

/media/wysiwyg

Mine was missing.  I\’m using Magento 1.8 CE.  Creating the folder called \"wysiwyg\" inside of \"/media\" solved that problem.

Thank you so much. This helped me! Im using 1.8 CE as well

Magento Community
Magento Community

vaibhav1608

Total Posts:  1

/media

/media/wysiwyg

Awesome!! Thanks a lot!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

caos989

Total Posts:  96
Linz, Austria

This thread was mostly helpful but I wasn’t 100% clear what folder people were talking about.  A little trial/error based on the comments above posters helped me.

When trying to add an image through the WYSIWYG, like on a CMS page, I got the \"The directory is not writable by server.\” error.  The pop-up page only showed a folder icon called \"Storage Root\”.  Not terribly helpful.  Also, there wasn\’t a whole lot out on Google explaining what folder uploaded images goes to (most searches returned results for product images).

/media

/media/wysiwyg

I hope that makes it a bit more clear for others who didn\’t quite understand what folder had to be created were.

Cheers!

thanks I had the same problem since an update from 1.4 to 1.8. creating the wysiwyg folder helped me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

billy000

Using this imaging SDK, you are able to upload image, view image and annotate image easily and quickly. To upload images in CMS, you may provide correct image path.

Magento Community
Magento Community

foxi0172

/media

/media/wysiwyg

Cheers!

I had the same problem in Magento 1.8.1 CE! Thanks for this post!

Magento Community
Magento Community

magento_mag

Create folder media/wysiwyg

Magento Community
Magento Community

alexjimenez

Total Posts:  3

Thanks! i downloaded 1.8.1 Community edition (CE) and the folder media/wysiwyg is missing too!

Varian Magento team please add it to the zip file :-) community needs Quality assurance :-)

solution as posted above : Create the media/wysiwyg folder
just incase: chmod 777

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community