Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I get started? 

Pete N

Total Posts:  3

I love Magento.  Now I want it.  Now what?  I installed it using one click with Media Temple.  Now I need to get it to look good.  I did a search on Magento Connect and the forums and didn’t find many options for templates.  The ones I did find were category driven designs that have the search bar de-emphasized in the top right.  I am looking for a design that has search more promiment and can handle 12-15 categories in the left nav bar.

I contacted some developers but they are all looking for at least $1,500 (not that I blame them since they’re also want to make a living), I am looking for something that is free or a few hundred dollars.

Any suggestions? 

Pete

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Magento Connect has a number of themes. Search the forums as well for other options.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pete N

Do you know of any theme that can accommodate a dozen categories in the left nav?
And once I have the template, what do I do then?

Have you guys considered a section thats a five page very basic getting started guide?  I think one of the failures of the other open source commerce options is that its not that accessible to your to your average internet user. Even when I went to http://www.magentocommerce.com for the first time I had no idea what to do.  I was sold on the technology but didnt know what to do once I downloaded the software.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

Hi Pete,
Great too see your enthusiasm in regards to magento. yes, there is a learning curve with magento. I see that you only registered today, so I would say you have a lot of reading to do smile Documentation, tutorials, addons, themes etc will come as time progresses. In the meantime, you may want to look at other template sites (http://www.templatemonster.com) and see if you can find something there that suits your needs, you just need to find someone that is willing to port it to magento for you.

Sometimes a little bit of money needs to be spent to get something that suits your needs. Also, I wouldn’t consider an ecommerce owner as an average internet user smile Or, at least they shouldn’t be, like every other facet of business you need to dedicate the time to learning the tools you wish to use.

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pete N

I have no problem dedicating time and money to get my store up and running.  My point is that the less time and money that needs to be spent the greater the adoption.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community