Magento Forum

Installation Issue…my lack of knowledge and time

elbel_bros

Total Posts:  4

I am looking at creating a website with a magento theme (Ultimo, which was purchased from themeforest). To make it short I am willing to pay $100 to whoever is the first person to help me install the theme. I have an IS degree and have the capability but I have neither the time nor the patience to mess with or read through instructions. If someone is willing to help me with step by step instructions you can PM me with how to contact you. I am basically looking for the installation, that’s it, and its probably cake.

Paypal ready. I need this sooner than later and Im willing to pay for the help rather than struggle through it on my own.

**EDIT: may have help will post back if I do not.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sanketkumar

Total Posts:  27

Hello elbel_bros,

Are you facing problem with just installing the theme, what version of Magento are you using?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1157

Installing a theme is pretty much a straight-forward process:

1. Upload the theme folders and files (preserve directory structure)
2. Log in to Magento Admin Panel -> System -> Configuration -> Design and change value of “Default” to the name of the theme folder.
3. Clear cache

Magento Community
Magento Community

elbel_bros

Well I got my template/theme at themeforest, not sure if that makes a difference or not. The theme I purchased with the Magento Ultimo on themeforest.net....looks like its 1.5.5 from the folder.

I also did hosting with fatcow, once again not sure if that makes a difference either. I understand that I need to zip the Theme folder and then ftp to my server (fatcow). All of this is where i still am, didnt have much time today to mess with it. I uploaded the zipped theme to fatcows server and I created the maintenance.flag file that I was supposed to place in the root folder. If I had to guess I didnt do any of it right and will be contacting the guy that said he would help me.

and while this is Im sure a fairly easy process, know that I DONT do this AT ALL. Ive done some web development (HTML, Dreamweaver, etc. in class 2-4 years ago, but lets be honest with the way school is now we only retain what we need while we need it). I dont do web development at all, though I am sure I am more than capable. I just hate struggling through things and with a full-time job, part-time job and some other issues going on my time is quite limited.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elbel_bros

Sindre|ProperHost - 15 October 2013 02:11 AM

2. Log in to Magento Admin Panel -> System -> Configuration -> Design and change value of “Default” to the name of the theme folder.
3. Clear cache

I dont even know how to access the admin panel, I dont believe I received any type of login information. I was sort of skimming the directions and I believe this comes up after I ftp the correct folders to my server, right?

Also when uploading Im not sure if I upload the root folder or if I need to go into the app and skin folder maybe. While we are on the root folder, which is the root folder? I am assuming the theme folder because it has the app and skin folders.

**remember guys I know very little.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sanketkumar

Total Posts:  27

Hello,

If you need it to be done we can do it for you!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1157

elbel_bros - 15 October 2013 06:57 PM

3. Clear cache

I dont even know how to access the admin panel, I dont believe I received any type of login information. I was sort of skimming the directions and I believe this comes up after I ftp the correct folders to my server, right?

Also when uploading Im not sure if I upload the root folder or if I need to go into the app and skin folder maybe. While we are on the root folder, which is the root folder? I am assuming the theme folder because it has the app and skin folders.

Admin login: http://yourstoredomain/admin/

Root folder: the folder where your Magento installation resides. You should see folders like app, var, media, etc.

However, I am curious, how do you suppose to run a Magento store when you’re not willing to read even the slightest documentation? (ie. how to access the admin panel).

Magento Community
Magento Community

mounzito

Total Posts:  3

hi, where are u hosting?

Magento Community
Magento Community

elbel_bros

Sindre|ProperHost - 15 October 2013 10:56 PM

elbel_bros - 15 October 2013 06:57 PM

3. Clear cache

Admin login: http://yourstoredomain/admin/

Root folder: the folder where your Magento installation resides. You should see folders like app, var, media, etc.

However, I am curious, how do you suppose to run a Magento store when you’re not willing to read even the slightest documentation? (ie. how to access the admin panel).

THis is still the case when I am hosting on a different server (Fatcow)??

Who said not willing to read?? I have skimmed the installation directions that came with the download, I was given some reading material here and I hvae skimmed all three. If anything its my lack of knowledge and time.

It cant be that hard to maintain the store, I just need to learn this stuff.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community