Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Edit right column

dwdonline

Total Posts:  56
Southern California

I am really confused. How do I find the code for the right column? I would like the product page to use the same as the categories (2columns-left.phtml), but I don’t see a way to do that. Products automatically use (2columns-right.phtml) - how can I make them use 2columns-left.phtml?

Thanks,
Philip

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

alkarim
Guru

Total Posts:  368

hi dwdonline, Is it that you means ? go to CMS -> Manage Pages , then go to any page (Home Page, example) then go to ‘Custom Design’ tab, at drop down ‘Layout’ . you can choose what you like about columns..... 

Hopes this is what you’re looking for....

Magento Community
Magento Community

glaDiator

Total Posts:  65

To change the Products from 2columns-right.phtml to 2columns-left.phtml ............

Go to /app/design/frontend/default/default/layout
Open catalog.xml
Search using <catalog_product_view> or find this line of code
Just under it you should see the following code....

<reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>

change this to

<reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>

Magento Community
Magento Community

alkarim
Guru

Total Posts:  368

wow, i see. but I am wondering why we should to change it’s source to make a change ? and not in the administrator ....

Magento Community
Magento Community

glaDiator

Total Posts:  65

well… u can do it in the admin panel also ..........but changing it in the admin panel is not better if u wants to develop a new theme.

here, how u can do it by admin panel..........
Go to Catalog->Manage Categories select any category & go to the Custom Design tab

choose your template from the Page Layout dropdown & choose the scope from the Apply To dropdown

Magento Community
Magento Community

dwdonline

Total Posts:  56
Southern California

Thanks,

I do have another question though - how do I change the content of that column. Because when I pull up a product page, it till shows the same content that it showed on the right (just it shows it on the left now). I want it to show the shop-by content like you see in the categories.

Also, I am trying to get it to show the shopping cart total in the header - any ideas there?

Thanks,
Philip

glaDiator - 17 April 2008 12:20 AM

To change the Products from 2columns-right.phtml to 2columns-left.phtml ............

Go to /app/design/frontend/default/default/layout
Open catalog.xml
Search using <catalog_product_view> or find this line of code
Just under it you should see the following code....

<reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>

change this to

<reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community