Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Automated USPS Click & Ship Application

kardson

Total Posts:  59

if that’s the case.  Maybe I’ll add a way to save the name/address within the application so that you can still use it to ship without the magento order.

Which reminds me.. You can use this app to fill in the values without click on an order ID.  If your shipping something without a magento order.  I find it’s quicker than going through all the different pages on USPS click and ship.

Makes me wonder why they didn’t just combine all those pages into one.

although the guys at USPS aren’t the smartest… believe me I’ve spoken to alot of them smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

flytrapcare.com

Total Posts:  46

kardson - 05 December 2009 04:45 PM

Which reminds me.. You can use this app to fill in the values without click on an order ID.  If your shipping something without a magento order.  I find it’s quicker than going through all the different pages on USPS click and ship.

Makes me wonder why they didn’t just combine all those pages into one.

although the guys at USPS aren’t the smartest… believe me I’ve spoken to alot of them smile

Hah, good point.  That’s a good thing to know that I can enter the data on the application (without pulling it out of Magento) and hit the submit button and it just goes.  Very cool!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kardson

Any feedback on it so far?

Magento Community
Magento Community

flytrapcare.com

Sorry, I’ve been meaning to post again.  The app works great for quickly printing the USPS click and ship labels.  But after printing, it doesn’t go to Magento and enter the tracking numbers.  This isn’t a huge deal because it doesn’t take long to copy and paste the numbers in, but it would be nice if it did this automatically.  It’s supposed to right?  Reading here:

it will automatically add the tracking number to the order on your magento store, email the customer using the shipment confirmation email template you have on magento, and close the order.

This doesn’t happen for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kardson

The application SHOULD switch to the magento tab once the USPS webpage with the tracking number shows up.
You may also want to check the settings and make sure the URL for the admin page is set correctly.

any more info on how far into the process the application would help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

flytrapcare.com

Ok, I’ve verified that the URL for the admin page is set correctly, but still nothing happens after printing the labels from USPS (doesn’t switch to the Magento tab).

Could it be due to the fact that the admin URL is secure (https)?

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

I’m very interested in this module, but I’m curious to hear from others how often you use USPS? We’ve found that USPS only makes sense when we ship under 1lb, otherwise FedEx is a better price. Is there something that I don’t know about working with USPS?

Magento Community
Magento Community

flytrapcare.com

I use USPS because I ship live plants and the quickness of Priority Mail.  With their flat rate boxes, I think the shipping is very comparable to FedEx, though admittedly I’ve not looked into FedEx much.  After reading your post, I definitely will.

What is the average delivery time when shipping with FedEx?  With USPS Priority Mail, if I drop the package off on a Monday, it’s typically in the customer’s hands by Wednesday.  If things are very busy (like now, around Christmas time), it might take 3 days, meaning a package shipped on Monday is to the customer by Thursday.  Can FedEx beat that?

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

Interestingly, I was told that USPS uses Fedex for a lot of their shipping, however, they don’t typically get a ground shipment there in less than 3-5 days. However, I think they are typically less expensive than USPS.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kardson

@ flytrap
After the label prints, do you click the Yes circle on the webpage within my application? 
Basically after the label prints the “Did the label print correctly” question is displayed on the USPS webpage in my application.

After you click yes, the page then displays the tracking # (or delivery confirmation # whatever you want to call it)

Once my app recognizes there is a tracking # on that page it will then switch tabs to the magento tab.

If you are indeed clicking yes and it is displaying a tracking # but nothing happens afterwards this gives me a good spot to start debugging.
If at all possible could you provide the Source Code of that page?  (right click in the window and choose view source.)

Copy and past the entire thing to travis@creativebeam.com and I’ll take a look at it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kardson

@ wsj3

Most of my packages are relatively small and do weigh 0-2 pounds.  So I typically never see shipping costs over $4.85 per package. (that’s priority shipping 3-5 days)

There are also your flat rate shipping boxes that have no or very high weight limits. 
Small box is $4.80 (something like 5"x9"x1.5")
Medium is $9.85 (12"x3,5"x13.5")
Large is $13.85 (12"x12"x6.5")

But if you are able to fit your items in these boxes that’s just one less thing you need to buy as they will ship you the boxes for free.

Plus these boxes can be used for international shipping as well and do not cost alot.  The few times I’ve shipped Fedex or UPS they’ve charged me almost double what I pay at usps.

Your mileage max vary depending on package size, weight, ect..  But if your shipping smaller items than I believe usps is the way to go.

Magento Community
Magento Community

flytrapcare.com

kardson - 23 December 2009 08:54 AM

If you are indeed clicking yes and it is displaying a tracking # but nothing happens afterwards this gives me a good spot to start debugging.
If at all possible could you provide the Source Code of that page?  (right click in the window and choose view source.)

Copy and past the entire thing to travis@creativebeam.com and I’ll take a look at it.

Yep, that’s exactly what’s happening.  I click yes on the radio button and it displays the tracking #, but then nothing happens after that (it doesn’t switch to the Magento tab).

Next time I process an order, I’ll send you the source code for that page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kardson

thanks, my guess is I’ll have to add some logic to determine I’m on the right page.

also, HTTP or HTTPS for the magento admin should not matter.

Magento Community
Magento Community

flytrapcare.com

Well, I can’t seem to view the source HTML from inside the application.  When I right click, the “View source” option isn’t selectable.  Would it be ok to do the process in FireFox and send you the HTML from withing FireFox?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kardson

nope, it may be different.

After christmas I’ll release a “debug” version with extra text boxes to output the source in to help us out.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community