Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

requirements are too high. 

Vandal Savage

Total Posts:  3

I’m a refugee from another ecommerce platform.

I’d love to install magento and put it through its paces, and i’m sure i stand with a lot of other people on this.

Why are the specs so high? a lot off hosts arent upgrading their php4 installs, and even after installs of php5, most are crippled. A major example is the lack of php-mcrypt on servers, causing the installer to error. Is there a way to bypass that error? or a solution other than fiddling with the server config?

We could have had so much fun together Magento.

:(

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Vandal Savage - 16 April 2008 12:20 AM

Why are the specs so high? a lot off hosts arent upgrading their php4 installs, and even after installs of php5, most are crippled. A major example is the lack of php-mcrypt on servers, causing the installer to error. Is there a way to bypass that error? or a solution other than fiddling with the server config?

We could have had so much fun together Magento.

:(

First, if you’re with a host who’s still using PHP4 then that’s your own issue.  PHP4 have been EOL’d for months now - ANY/EVERY host should have upgraded to PHP5 long ago.  There is a reason new versions of software come out - your host should know better.

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/14/0646216&from;=rss
“"The PHP development team has announced that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. Critical security fixes will be made available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08.”

Second, you sound like you want to drive a racecar but then complain that it doesnt take unleaded gas.  Of course it doesnt take unleaded gas - it’s a RACECAR!!!

Magento is a great product and you’ll really love it if you can find a host who is capable of staging the product.  It’s NOT for everyone and MANY MANY MANY shared hosts are simply not going to let you run it - it’s server intensive.  In fact, I am quite surprised we haven’t seen more ‘my host suspended my account because of Magento’ threads.

Magento wasnt designed for shared hosting.  It was designed to be a professional level ecommerce solution.

Those two things can not exist together.  Would you share a cash register with all the other merchants in a shopping mall?  I mean, you could right - but, it’s not really too smart.  This is true with Shared Hosting and eCommerce - You can make it work, but that doesnt make it good.

Magento Community
Magento Community

warren

Total Posts:  67

Hi Crucial

Did you get your Magento Containers online yet?

Can you explain a bit about how they work (and about their performance) and give a guide on pricing?

Is it wise to host a UK orientated site on your servers/network?

Cheers

Warren

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

warren - 16 April 2008 10:12 AM

Hi Crucial

Did you get your Magento Containers online yet?

Can you explain a bit about how they work (and about their performance) and give a guide on pricing?

Is it wise to host a UK orientated site on your servers/network?

Cheers

Warren

We just released Magento Containers about 1 hour ago. We would prefer not to talk about it on here though, we don’t like to get all “salesy” on here, so feel free to check my sig for links or contact us on here via PM or via ticket from our site.

Regarding the UK question, I suppose it really depends on your target audience. Is it mostly UK? If so, check out the demo store, that’s running live right now on Magento Containers (Lite) and would give you a good idea of response time.

If it’s not up to par, and your audience is primarily UK based, then I’d highly suggest a UK hosting provider so you can get the best loading times possible. There’s a few UK hosts listed on the wiki article:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Magento-Web-Hosting

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community