Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it possible to have multiple stores within a store? 

steveharman

Total Posts:  11

Hi!

Forgive me I posted a question like this last year but I wondered if perhaps the world had moved on and there might be a way of doing this?

Would it be possible for a group of retailers, each with their own store, unique visual look & feel / theme, admin options etc. to effectively “share” a Magento install?

In broad terms what I’m trying to achieve is for say a number of different retailers to have the flexibility of “their own"independent store, own URL, be able to accept their own orders, manage their own products etc - all the usual things but for their product data to also be part of one large central “collective pot” if you like which again has ITS own unique look & feel and separate URL.

The independent retailers would have their own stores looking just how they liked them that were for all intents and purposes stand-alone but, without lifting a finger the products the retailers offered would also be available if customers ordered them through the “mother ship” collective site.  A bit like all the different retailers in a “electronic mall” selling goods through their own individual stores BUT with the added benefit of the mall itself also being able to accept orders for them on its “own site”.  Because the mall shared the same “product pot” as all the retailers it would transparently be part of each retailer’s stock control & order processing system.

This is probably better drawn out on paper than typed.  wink

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Marched

Total Posts:  44

Believe you could accomplish that in System - Permissions - Users/Roles

Magento Community
Magento Community

jontas

Total Posts:  34

We achieved this effect you are looking for by purchasing the AITOC Advanced Permissions plugin (is on Magento Connect).

Then we could setup the permissions on a per store level and for us each store has a separate root category that they manage.
(So this is not exactly what you are looking for, but it might be worth checking out)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community