Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add 2nd attribute to existing product ? 

PaulAlford

Total Posts:  64
Summerville, SC

I finally was able to create a product with a drop down option box for “Number of Pages” for my ALBUM product.  Now I am trying to add a 2nd drop down box for “Cover Colors” and stuck.  I created the new Cover Colors attribute, set to global, visible etc… and dragged it into the General category in the Default Attr Set… just like I did for the Number of pages attr. 

Now when I go to the Product-ALBUM, I see the Cover Color blank (although the Number of Pages attr doesnt show there.  When I set up the 1st drop down box (number of pages) I just selected ASSOCIATED products and created the new simple products with the number of pages options there.. and that worked.  Why cant the 2nd attribute work the same way ?  HOW am I supposed to add it to the same ALBUM product ??????  Errrrrr..

Paul

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

PaulAlford

Total Posts:  64
Summerville, SC

As a follow up, I kept playing and just tried starting a new config product and see BOTH attributes as slectable in the 1st screen now, so I selected them… and set up the ALBUM again, and went to “Associated Products” tab and see BOTH attributes in there now… So this makes me think you CANT add attributes to an existing product you have already made.  This isnt good.

Here’s the product - 10x10 Album with 20, 30, 40, 50 pages (option 1) and 25 different cover color options (option 2)

Now I also see that I have to select each size and then each color (20 pg and black), then 20 pg with red, then 20 pg with ginger, and finish all 25 colors for 20 pages.... THEN repeat the same process for 30 pages with all 25 colors, THEN 40 pages with all 25 colors, and same thing for 50 pages.  You are tellng me I have to create 100 different products for just 1 real product ????  There has GOT to be a simpler way !!!  Good grief.  And this is just for 1 product !!!  Then I have to go through this mulitplier process for every different album we will sell AND every other product we want to sell.  We could have thousands of products listed for just 10 real products. 

Please tell me there is an EASIER way !!!!  I will stop working with Magento right now.  Are ALL the carts out there doing products this way ????  Somebody please tell me of other carts to look at if their product setup and options are easier than this !!

Paul

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community