Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Taking the store offline…

Hami

Total Posts:  4

I can’t seem to work out how to do this, so I’m pretty sure this feature isn’t available yet - but if it is can someone telll me how to do it?

In the same vain as when the Apple Online Store goes offline, or goes down, when there is new products - would it be possible to have a mode in Magento to take the store offline whilst products are being added, developement is being done or simply for maintance.

This would allow only admin users or users specified role who are logged in to browse the store, test it or develop it, while anyone visiting the site would see a maintance page or a ‘back soon’ page.

Thoughts?

/ Hami

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Hello Hami - we’ll keep this in mind. Thanks for pointing it out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hami

Total Posts:  4

Great, thanks for the quick response.

I can’t imagine it will be too hard to implement, but I bet there is alot on the list to come before it. It would be nice to use the exsisting page system in Magento and have a ‘hidden’ store down page that can’t be accessed like a normal page, except by an admin or select role in order to design and preview it. When the store is taken down this page would then be placed at the front of the store for all users that aren’t logged in and allowed to access a downed store.

/ Hami

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Roy and team, the biggest issue I have had with this kind of feature (on other systems) is that the store sporadically decides to take itself down for maintenance, which is the worst thing in the world that can happen on a live shop. Though this can be a useful feature for some, make sure it has checks and double checks before enabling such a feature… Just my 3¢.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Scott - I absolutely agree with your comment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pablo Augusto

Total Posts:  37
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

There are any way (at new 1.0 version) to get store down for maintance?

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

I really would like this feature as well.

Not for when the site is live as much as for preproduction.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andrey666

Total Posts:  58

Redirect Everyone but you(your IP) to alternate page on your server ( temporary-offline.html with simple text/image that store is down - u have to create it)
add this to .htaccess (hidden file in your root folder, u need rewrite_mod enabled which u probably have anyway for SEO)
1.1.1.1 is your IP address (u can name more than one smile

#### BOF Under Maintenance
#RewriteEngine On # - may not be needed.... if it doesnt work uncomment line (remove first #)
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_HOST} !^1\.1\.1\.1 # put your IP here
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/temporary-offline\.html$
RewriteRule .* /temporary-offline.html [R=302,L]
#### BOF Under Maintenance

easy ha? this can be implemented and managed from back end ‘cos u dont need access to .htpasswd which u cannot have from web browser

during development use this one instead so you dont have to enter password from your IP, u can still log in to your front and backend and from many different IP u for some reason cannot name (thats the advatage and also all those bots and scripts have access too… u can add more of course...if you dont need that use code above) - its good to be in google index from very beginning:)

#### BOF Under Development
AuthName “Under developmnet”
AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd # path to htpasswd file - u can use online tool to create that
AuthType basic
Require valid-user
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 1.1.1.1 w3.org googlebot.com google.com google-analytics.com websiteoptimization.com
Satisfy Any
#### EOF Under Development

ty for magento.... i was in the middle of implementing OsCommerce with all the mods and custom code u can imagine and this came out… best thing that happend to E-commerce since OsCommerce… this is my thank you… you guys are awesame

all credits to http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apache-htaccess.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community