Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Extend administration area

Stefan Koopmanschap

Total Posts:  7
Netherlands

Hello,

I am trying to add a fully custom section to the administration area. This will add completely new fucntionality, with new database tables, new screens, it just needs to fall within the existing admin area and layout.

I have been unable to find any documentation on this topic. I’ve been trying to follow the wiki entry on overloading controllers (creating a new controller instead of overloading an existing one) but have been unable to get anything working so far. Could anyone either explain to me how to implement completely new functionality, or point me to existing documentation on how to do this?

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

have a look at /app/code/core - basically each directory in there is an area of extended functionality. Hopefully this helps you. I am about to start writing something similar myself smile

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stefan Koopmanschap

Netherlands

Yeah, I’ve been looking at it but there’s so much different stuff in there that it’ll take me a while to analyze it. So I had hoped to get some pointers wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stefan Koopmanschap

Netherlands

OK, I am getting further step by step. I know now that my config.xml is read because the menu items I add in it appear in the menu. However, I still don’t seem to have the mapping between url and code working.

When I look at, for instance, the extensions/custom system, I observe the following:

index.php/admin/extensions_local/ points towards core/Mage/Adminhtml/controllers/Extensions/CustomController.php - this is simple logic, and I can follow this.

However, in my own module, let’s say

local/Mycode/Adminhtml/controllers/Extensions/MymoduleController.php

I’ve created a very simple controller:

<?php

class Mycode_Adminhtml_Extensions_MymoduleController extends Mage_Adminhtml_Controller_Action
{

public function indexAction()

{
    $this
->_forward('branch');

}

public function branchAction()

{
    $this
->loadLayout();

$this->renderLayout();

}
}

If I then follow the logic of the custom controller, I should be able to get to this piece of code by calling:

index.php/admin/extensions_mymodule

However, this is not working :( I get a 404 when calling this page. I also tried to remove the cache contents but this doesn’t fix it. Could anyone point me in the right direction to get this working?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stefan Koopmanschap

Netherlands

No one who can point me in the right direction? I need to get back to my client about if/how Magento will be able to support what he wants, so I could use some pointers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stefan Koopmanschap

Netherlands

I could really need some pointers, I’m writing a document (due in tomorrow) on how to implement this, and want to include information as specific as possible. Anyone?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stefan Koopmanschap

Netherlands

One last try, anyone?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community