Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

quesiton on copyrights notice in config.xml

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Have this question I would like to verify now as this issue will come out eventually when Magento is ready for big time.

In the config.xml file , there is a © 2007 Magento Demo Store. All Rights Reserved. notice.
Can this be changed to website owner’s company name, along with a credit to Magento(TM)?  For example:  “© 2007, ABC Inc. some rights reserved. Site powered by Magento”

I am not an ungrateful person and always give credit when credit is due, but based on past experience, I know there will have clients that need a bit of education on this.

thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

The copyright has to be kept in the source file(s) (please refer to the Magento license - OSL3.0). Please also note, that certain components are copyrighted by parties other than Varien (such as javascript librarires and other 3rd party contributions).

You don’t have to include an attribution in the templates. In other words, the site does not have to display “Magentoâ„¢ is a registered Trademark of Irubin Consulting Inc. DBA Varien. © Copyright 2007” as displayed in the demo store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Roy, thanks for clarification.

Copyright in the source files this policy I am fully aware smile

Encountered client who don’t care what is in the source files but cannot see other company name displays on his/her webs site. That kind of mentality: what is mine belong to me forever, what belonged to other but possesed by me, is mine too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Usually if a client is that picky about own copyrights, 1) they should have a cart done completely custom for them, 2) you can charge them a few million, and 3) it probably isn’t going to happen, so they’re going to have to suck it up.

I’m sure M wishes they owned the copyrights for all the js files in use, but they don’t. There’s nothing that can be done about it.

Something to think about is: is the client high-maintenance? Maybe they are wasting your time more than they are valuing it. Maybe it’s time to move on? Just something to think about. cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community