Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

confusion with static blocks

jonahhill87

Total Posts:  8

Hi everyone. I’m new to Magento and I’m just trying to get a feel of how to manage pages. I have watched the screen casts and read alot of the knowledge base but I’m still a bit confused on how to display products. I’m trying to display products on some landing pages I have created. This is what I know so far and what I’ve created after viewing the screen casts and reading the knowledge base.

After I create a landing page, I create a static block(I’ll be coming back to this), then I create a product and category, add my product to the category and reference the static block I created in the CMS Block drop down(category manager. I’m also using a default custom design and a display mode of static block only). I can then reference my static block on my landing page(page manager content area) with this code- {block type="cms/block" block_id="your_block_identifier" template="cms/content.phtml"}}.
If I don’t have any of that right, please let me know.

So this is where I get lost. I don’t quite understand what coding needs to be added to the static block content area to display my products. Do I need to reference the category in some way?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jonahhill87

Total Posts:  8

Hi. Could any1 point me in the right direction at least. If my description was too vague, let me know. I’m just looking for some help as to how to display my products on my landing pages.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community