Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Disable Cart Functionality and use only as catalog

kandip

Total Posts:  38

I was looking at magento, see if magento can have a feature where a client can Enable or Disable the cart funtionality and use the system only as a catalog. For example, for some clients who are wholesalers or someone like us who sale Gold Jewelers. We do not want customer to buy our stock online.. but we do like them to see what we have in stock online.

Now I don’t know if this can be done already or not. or this could be a new feature that can implemented in the future release. Please Advise or comment.

Thanks.

(Note: I am going to make the same post in the “How to Do?” forum just in case. For those of you who are bother by me making 2 of the same post twice, my apologies.)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kandip

Total Posts:  38

no one has any clue on this ???

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

it is certainly something that can be done with a custom template, but i don’t believe such functionality is already included in the default one.

you would probably want to see this thread about enabling the SKU on the frontend as well
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6404/

Magento Community
Magento Community

reststop

Total Posts:  15

I haven’t looked through the Magento code yet, but I would agree that a custom template should allow this.

You would simply need to remove the places that a user could reference the shopping cart, e.g. add to cart, or maybe just configure your store to not have any active checkout or payment. This would allow your clients to make potential orders, similar to asking you to put a particular product on hold for them, and then have to handle ordering and payments offline.  The shopping cart would be a virtual wish-list. (I don’t know if Magento requires you to have a payment method defined or activated to activate your store.)

Then all you need to do is handle abandoned shopping carts properly, so that your inventory isn’t affected by having an item in someone’s cart, not available for another client to view.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kavaXtreme

Total Posts:  1

See this thread:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/20853/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zareef Ahmed

Total Posts:  2
Delhi India

For one of our client we have created a new template and then used some ‘business policy’ conditions to fulfill such requirement.

Magento Community
Magento Community

uabassguy

Total Posts:  2

You can disable the Checkout modules (then refresh cache), and set htaccess to redirect the ^checkout/cart/ request. Then hide the button in CSS. Simple, and avoids editing any templates.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GoMageTeam
Guru

Total Posts:  356
Warsaw, Poland

Hello,

If you use GoMage LightCheckout extension and GoMage ProCart extension, you will get an opportunity to disable a cart and redirect to the checkout page directly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ec0mmerce

Total Posts:  242

Hello

HIDE CART AND PRICES magento extension will allow you to disable product prices or cart availability for many reasons that mostly make sense for B2B stores.

So please feel free to check and let me know if this is something you are happy with.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community