Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Configurable product… I’m so close… but yet so far…. what’s wrong??!? 

tonyhhisc

Total Posts:  7

I followed the official magento screencast precisely when trying to create a configurable product. It all goes well until the last screen “Associated Products”. When I select any one of the attributes in the list it allows that first one to be checked but all the rest are what looks to be disabled. And on the front-end it only allows me to select one of my options and doesn’t seem to apply my price change. See my screenshots for my settings and the Associated Products page where the error seems to be happening. Thanks so much for any help. Tony

UPDATE: By the way, in the screenshot you will notice the simple products are “Out of Stock”. i have fixed that and the problem remains.

if you need any more screenshots to figure out the problem, let me know. i need to get this working!

Image Attachments
magento-screenshot.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I ran into that problem once with an old version.  I never really spent any time trying to solve it because with 1.0 you can create your simple products while creating the configurable product and it hasn’t had an issue. 

My guess is that there is some setting that is different on your simple products - have you checked them all? 

Did you import your products?  If not, just create them from the configurable product - it saves quite a bit of time, in my opinion.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I noticed something this morning while adding products to a Configurable Product—it seems that once you have associated a simple product with a specific set of attributes you can no longer associate an additional simple product with the same attributes.  I’m not sure if this is what’s happening in your case, just something I noticed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

sherrie - 15 April 2008 05:01 AM

I noticed something this morning while adding products to a Configurable Product—it seems that once you have associated a simple product with a specific set of attributes you can no longer associate an additional simple product with the same attributes.  I’m not sure if this is what’s happening in your case, just something I noticed.

is the attribute set to unique value “no”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brett

Total Posts:  121

Configurable products are one of the few things which Magento handles poorly. They are supposedly releasing a package called “bundles” to address this issue. Hopefully it is given high priority. Being able to easily add configurable products is a standard feature in most other ecommerce solutions.

I’ve suggested before and would like to suggest again that there be a way to auto generate all possible combinations of items based on the configurable product and list of configurable items. Most of the framework is already there (will have screenshots later), it just needs to be finalized.

Keep in mind, people, most of the other ecommerce solutions are years old and as such have had a long time to improve upon their software. Magento is still young, so give it a chance. This is one of the few aspects in which it is lacking, and I’m sure it will be taken care of.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community