Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What Permissions are Required? 

thugsb

Total Posts:  50
UK

What permissions are required for Magento? I was frustrated during the installation of Magento because it kept saying it didn’t have necessary permissions. So I set just about everything to 777. But now I don’t know what the permissions should be set as. I know leaving them as 777 would be very very bad!

I’ve read that /media and /var should be 775, and that most directories should be 755. Also, is it true that most files should be 644 or 664? Which? And are there exceptions?

It seems that there isn’t much documentation in this area. This page really doesn’t give much information, and the various forum posts don’t seem to be very informative either.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community