Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product images not pulling through

easym

Total Posts:  21

Hi all,
I have recently installed magento version 1 and have spent a lot of time learning about it and configuring our store. We are now 1 final problem away from going live.
The problem is this ...
Through the admin interface I am able to upload images for each individual product and it appears as though it should appear properly on the frontend. However, when I go to the frontend only the placeholder image is being displayed for every product (thumbnail, full-size, etc).
I am not sure if I missed something simple, but could someone please let me know of any ideas they have for fixing this issue.

I have disabled cache management as instructed.

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

clearbluedigital

Total Posts:  5

Same exact problem here. Anybody have an idea?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

This might be the problem of file permissions still. Try setting the file permissions of the media folder (and subfolders) to 777 - or 775 (777 is fully accessible but less secure). You might have to re-upload the images. I’d try it with one product to diagnose if this is the issue. (set the permission of media folder and all subfolders and then see if the images show up - if they do not, try re-uploading an image for one product to see if that works).

Most FTP programs will allow you to set file permissions of a folder (however, not all will allow you to do all sub-folders (recursively).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michae1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

You can also try to increase memory_limit php setting, as image resizing/applying watermarks might require a bit more memory on large original images, and they won’t show up if there’s not enough memory to complete the operation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Refugnic

Total Posts:  27
Lichtenfels

Try enlarging the memory buffer to 64 Megs, making the Apache the owner of the image files and giving him 7. Worked quite well for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

merhone

Total Posts:  2

I am having the same problem. I changed the permissions of my media folder to 775, and changed my memory limit in php.ini to 64mb, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

clearbluedigital

Total Posts:  5

As suggested, I up’d the memory limit to 64MB and set the permissions on the media folder to 777. No change though. Images are still not displayed on site. Still only seeing the placeholder image for every product.
Here’s a bit more info that may help…
When I look at the product in the Admin Console and go to the Images tab, when I scroll over the images, nothing happens. I don’t get a preview. So I tried uploading new images for the product and I get the same results. The image uploads but once uploaded I scroll over the new images for a preview and I get nothing. This is just downright maddening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Refugnic

Total Posts:  27
Lichtenfels

You’re using the latest version of Magento, right?

I never had the problem this extreme to be honest...the pictures at least showed up, when scrolling over them.

And you’re sure, you set the owner to the Apache?

chown -R www-data magento

if you’re having a UNIX Based Server.  (www-data is the apache)

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpusher

Total Posts:  135
SoCal

This may be a dumb question but, did you set the images to “thumbnail”, “small image” and “base image” after uploading?
Admin>catalog/manage products>product/images

If no images show up on the backend upon rollover I would check to make sure GD2 is functioning properly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thejosh13

Total Posts:  252

Wow, the permissions was the issue for me… that worked, thanks!  I read someone say that permissions get messed up when upgrading to the newer version.

My problem was with products that I loaded through import dataflow, and then later edited infro manually in the admin interface (such as image, name). I am still having a problem.....

The product name is not coming through correctly, even though it is setup that way on the backend. Then admin is showing it correctly, but it does not come through how I have it currently. Although it comes through the way I had it when I originally dataflow imported it (I ended up making alot of edits/changes).

Do you think this could be a permission error somewhere else? If so where would this be?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thejosh13

Total Posts:  252

The product name was different in the default view than the store view.  Use default values for this field might have gotten unchecked with upgrade..

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community