Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 6
Customer emails still contains default text. 

benfrain.com

Total Posts:  142

I’ve actually found the quickest way is to use a ‘find and replace’ command in Dreamweaver and the like. Apply it to the source within ‘magento/app/locale/en_US/template/email’

replace alt="Magento” with alt="your store name”

replace Magento Demo Store with your store name

replace mailto:magento@varien.com with mailto:email@yourstore.com

replace dummyemail@magentocommerce.com with email@yourstore.com

replace (800) DEMO-STORE with (0800) YOUR STORE NUMBER

replace Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST with your own store opening times and timezone

This is actually far easier than mucking about with the templates in the admin interface. Then just upload these files over the top of the existing ones.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ozstar

Total Posts:  32
Sydney Oz

Do all these still need to be changed to get rid of the Demo reference?

Oz

From Previous Post…

May you need change “Magento Demo Store” on these files:

magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\account_new.html"(24,48):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\admin_password_new.html"(27,73):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\newsletter_subscr_confirm.html"(28,69):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_creditmemo.html"(23,63):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_creditmemo.html"(75,62):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_invoice.html"(23,63):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_invoice.html"(75,62):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_new.html"(23,63):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_new.html"(79,62):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_shipment.html"(23,63):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_shipment.html"(81,62):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\order_update.html"(26,52):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\password_new.html"(24,41):
magento\app\locale\en_US\template\email\wishlist_share.html"(23,65):

Magento Community
Magento Community

Web Man Walking

Total Posts:  18

benfrain.com - 30 September 2008 04:22 AM

I’ve actually found the quickest way is to use a ‘find and replace’ command in Dreamweaver and the like. Apply it to the source within ‘magento/app/locale/en_US/template/email’

replace alt="Magento” with alt="your store name”

replace Magento Demo Store with your store name

replace mailto:magento@varien.com with mailto:email@yourstore.com

replace dummyemail@magentocommerce.com with email@yourstore.com

replace (800) DEMO-STORE with (0800) YOUR STORE NUMBER

replace Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST with your own store opening times and timezone

This is actually far easier than mucking about with the templates in the admin interface. Then just upload these files over the top of the existing ones.

Thanks for this.  I eventually came to the same conclusion than messing around with what it is to be honest a messy and disjointed interface.  Using a search/replace is much easier.  However if you ain’t technical it might be a bit tricky.

REMEMBER to replace logo_email.gif as well!

Thanks.

E.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cinemaduro

Total Posts:  53
North Carolina, USA

Am I correct in thinking that if the changes are made using the find & replace method like this, without mucking about with templates, then if you upgrade Magento, you will have to do all this over again?

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just enter the pertinent info in the admin interface somewhere (like in the configuration section) and have it echo the correct info. Infact, the store name, the emails, and the phone number are already stored in the SQL!!, everything but the times. It would be an easy fix, but has to happen on the developers end so the upgrades don’t overwrite it.

I think this is very important because it is a convenient change that will affect every single person that uses Magento, unless they use their own templates.

FYI: in addition to replacing (800) DEMO-STORE with your store number, there is also a (800) DEMO-NUMBER that has to be replaced in some of those same email files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

trunty

Total Posts:  1

Expanding a bit on benfrain.com and patrickz’s comments if you have linux CLI access it was a bit easier for me to run the below once I knew some of the terms to lookout for.

find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/alt="Magento"/alt="CompanyName"/g' {} \;
find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/Magento Demo Store/your-domain.com/g' {} \;
find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/mailto:magento@varien.com/webmaster@your-domain.com/g' {} \;
find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/dummyemail@magentocommerce.com/webmaster@yyour-domain.com/g' {} \;
find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/(800)DEMO-STORE/(800)123-1234/g' {} \;
find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/(800)DEMO-NUMBER/(800)123-1234/g' {} \;
find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST/24x7/g' {} \;
find ./public_html/store/app/locale/en_US/template/email/ -type f -exec sed -'s/logo_email.gif/logo.gif/g' {} \;

Magento Community
Magento Community

scorxn

Total Posts:  16

All this hard-coded default text is dumb, considering Magento’s strength is managing multiple stores, each with different names, languages, contacts, etc. Duplicating and editing each template through the Transactional Emails panel is way too cumbersome.

At the very least, email templates should be part of the package hierarchy, not in a core locale folder. Ideally, they use variables that are easy to edit in the backend.

Here are the variables that worked for me:

Templates: app/locale/en_US/template/email/*.html
Variable: {{var customer.store.name}}
Output: Store View Name

Templates: app/locale/en_US/template/email/sales/*.html
Variable: {{var order.getStoreGroupName()}}
Output: Store Name

If you set your Store View Name and Store Name to match your domain name, you can get away with replacements like:

>>> sales@{{var customer.store.name}}.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

hulaqueen

Total Posts:  19

There are two steps to changing emails the usual way…

1) Create a new template from default
2) In the config settings change the setting to use the new template you have created (otherwise it will still use the default). These settings are scattered through the config area but usually make sense.

The other option is to go into the files and change the default files directly… then you don’t have to mess with creating new templates and changing all the settings.. there’s a good thread on this here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewreply/69549/ (some people are just replacing the text in all the templates, others are actually switching them to use variables from the store.

Cheers,
Sheryl

Magento Community
Magento Community

hulaqueen

Total Posts:  19

I’ve raised a bug tracker report suggesting this as an enhancement.. please comment if you wish at:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=3854

It would be great to get this included with the next release.

Thanks,
Sheryl

Magento Community
Magento Community

mediademon

Total Posts:  15

scorxn - 20 October 2008 07:00 AM

Here are the variables that worked for me:

Templates: app/locale/en_US/template/email/*.html
Variable: {{var customer.store.name}}
Output: Store View Name

Templates: app/locale/en_US/template/email/sales/*.html
Variable: {{var order.getStoreGroupName()}}
Output: Store Name

If you set your Store View Name and Store Name to match your domain name, you can get away with replacements like:

>>> sales@{{var customer.store.name}}.com

Very good tip…

Thanks very much!

Magento Community
Magento Community

B00MER

Total Posts:  130
DFW, TX

Thanks this helped alot, except I found some inconsistencies in the find-and-replaces, ie, (800) DEMO-STORE sometimes is (800) DEMO-NUMBER

Hopefully Magento realizes how dated doing the emails like this are, especially with multiple stores.  I would agree this should be fixed in future versions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

charlesrg1

Total Posts:  4

Here is a script that will replace most of the DEMO information

run from the magento root directory, this should handles templates in Sales as also templates in email Directory.
The phone number still needs to be set

#!/bin/sh
phone=(123)456-7890

find app
/locale/en_US/template/email/sales -type f -exec sed -'s/alt="Magento"/alt="{{var order.getStoreGroupName()}}"/g' {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email/sales -type f -exec sed -'s/Magento Demo Store/{{var order.getStoreGroupName()}} /g' {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email/sales -type f -exec sed -'s/mailto:magento@varien.com/sales@{{var order.getStoreGroupName()}}/g' {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email/sales -type f -exec sed -'s/dummyemail@magentocommerce.com/sales@{{var order.getStoreGroupName()}}/g' {} \;

find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -'s/alt="Magento"/alt="{{var customer.store.name}}"/g' {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -'s/Magento Demo Store/{{var customer.store.name}} /g' {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -'s/mailto:magento@varien.com/sales@{{var customer.store.name}}/g' {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -'s/dummyemail@magentocommerce.com/sales@{{var customer.store.name}}/g' {} \;

find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -"s/(800)DEMO-STORE/$phone/g" {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -"s/(800)DEMO-NUMBER/$phone/g" {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -"s/(800) DEMO-NUMBER/$phone/g" {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -"s/(800) DEMO-STORE/$phone/g" {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -'s/Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST/24x7/g' {} \;
find app/locale/en_US/template/email -type f -exec sed -'s/logo_email.gif/logo.gif/g' {} \;

Magento Community
Magento Community

Leo27

Total Posts:  127

I’m having a weird problem, or it’s not even a problem but I can’t fix it.

I wan’t to change the background colors of the items order. Any idea how I do it?
I no it’s simple, well it must be, but I really don’t know where to search..

Best regards
L. Nunes

Image Attachments
prob.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

superdak

Total Posts:  21

Leo27 - 18 November 2008 01:41 PM

I’m having a weird problem, or it’s not even a problem but I can’t fix it.

I wan’t to change the background colors of the items order. Any idea how I do it?
I no it’s simple, well it must be, but I really don’t know where to search..

Best regards
L. Nunes

The background colors are embeded in the template files, not in a CSS file.  So you’ll need to edit the files in your app/locale/(your language)/email/sales/ folder wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Leo27

Total Posts:  127

superdak - 18 November 2008 07:29 PM

The background colors are embeded in the template files, not in a CSS file.  So you’ll need to edit the files in your app/locale/(your language)/email/sales/ folder wink

Hey superdark, thank for the reply!

But no the speficific ones I want are not in the templates.
If I go for example to my new order template and check the line that will bring me the items ordered,I don’t have any background or any colors to change.

{{layout handle="sales_email_order_items" order=$order}}

That’s true the the table as color background, and I’ve already change them, but this one....

Any sugestion? how did you get it?

Best regards
L. Nunes

Magento Community
Magento Community

kathys

Total Posts:  17

Go to app/design/frontend/yourcustomdesign/default/template/email and check every single phtml file for hard-coded color references. The one you want is ...email/order/items.phtml . Unfortunately there are more hard-coded color references that occur in other emails as well. And if that’s not enough, once you get this working try creating an order from the admin panel and you will see the old colors have returned in the customer email. In addition to the magento logo. The reason for this is because the admin looks in the default/default theme instead of your custom theme folder. The way I solved it is to edit those email template files as well. Not a very elegant solution but it works. Just one more thing to redo after an upgrade. (This is all in 1.1.6)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 6