Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 3 of 3
* Skip import row, store “store” field not exists and * Skip import row, is not valid value “” for field “type”

kyledomingo

Total Posts:  10

OK, so I also faced athe same issue. It’s a bit disappointing that we see more of the same questions than answers. It would be good for the community if the people who already solved issues with Magento post the solutions for others to view.

It seems that you have to try to create a product first and take note of the required fields.

At first, I created 4 fields: name, short description, price, and sku and it gives the error:

Skip import rowis not valid value "" for field "type"

Heck, what does that even mean?! So I tried to see if there is a field “type” in the mapping, and it’s there so I added it. The error now changed to

Skip import rowis not valid value "" for field "attribute_set"

Ok, now I’m sure that I just need to add the missing required fields in the mapping and the CSV. I ended up with the following:

name
short_description
price
sku
store
type
attribute_set
description
weight
status
tax_class_id
visibility

To see the valid values for the fields you’re not sure of, make sure you installed Magento with the sample data, and run the profile “Export All Products.” Examine the output csv for patterns for the appropriate field.

Also take notice of the note in the profile section Profile Wizard / Data Format / Original Magento attribute names in first row:

(When ‘No’, only mapped fields will be imported. When mapping, use ‘column1’, ‘column2’, etc.)

So I mapped name to column1, short_description to column2, ..., visibility to column12.

Here’s my sample csv

"test","test upload","1","TEST","admin","simple","Default","Some Description","1","Enabled","Taxable Goods","Catalog, Search"

That’s it. It should work.

--
Kyle

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

For everyone having problems saving UTF-8 from Excel, here’s how to enable it.

Excel 2007

Excel 2003

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwalker500

Total Posts:  1

Ok… so, if you are getting this error: [Skip import row, is not valid value “” for field “type"], it turns out the answer is simple. And I mean that literally! Thanks to the other responders on this board, I realized that Magento is simply looking for required fields that aren’t in the CSV file. One field that is required on all product imports is “Type” which refers to the product type (e.g., Simple, Grouped, Configurable, etc.). For regular products, this value is “simple.” As mentioned, if you get any further error messages regarding missing values, simply export your product list and add that field to your export so you can see what the potential values should be (e.g., I found out after correcting the “type” field that I was missing “tax_class_id,” which needed to be assigned a value of “Taxable Goods.") Hooray for “simple” fixes!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  153

This was a very frustrating situation but I kept getting the

error when trying to do csv importing.

I thought i followed everything to a T and used the the export file of all my products on magento as a template file.

What they fail to mention to you is in magento 1.5 the exported csv has: _type, _attribute_set, and _product_websites

Why?

This was the reason it was not importing.  All I had to do was remove the underscore from beginning of variable name and VOILA, it worked.

So instead of _type it was “type” instead of _attribute_set it was “attribute_set” and so on…

Why export the file like this if you cannot re-import it and no one lets you know this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ehmgrace

Total Posts:  4

very well said that the right approach to do with (Skip import row, is not valid value “” for field “type") error message, it is more convenient to add nor change the field in the csv data, however if the csv file is imported through adapter using ftp so would it be possible to bypass the the type field? what is the best approach for it, the case here is I wish to automate the import process using adapters but the csv file imported doesn’t have fields like “attribute_set, type”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnlewisdesign

Total Posts:  19

pharmokan - 11 October 2011 09:15 AM

This was a very frustrating situation but I kept getting the

What they fail to mention to you is in magento 1.5 the exported csv has: _type, _attribute_set, and _product_websites

Why?

This was the reason it was not importing.  All I had to do was remove the underscore from beginning of variable name and VOILA, it worked.
So instead of _type it was “type” instead of _attribute_set it was “attribute_set” and so on…
Why export the file like this if you cannot re-import it and no one lets you know this?

Same thing in 1.7! Such a PITA. I must say though now I’ve hit possibly every hurdle with product importing in the last 5-6 hours, I don’t think I’ll have any more setbacks!

That counts for pretty much every message you have in your CSV file, so don’t be put off by the message, just remove the underscore!

NICE ONE pharmokan.You just saved my sanity.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vita21

Total Posts:  2

jwalker500 - 27 July 2011 10:41 AM

Ok… so, if you are getting this error: [Skip import row, is not valid value “” for field “type"], it turns out the answer is simple. And I mean that literally! Thanks to the other responders on this board, I realized that Magento is simply looking for required fields that aren’t in the CSV file. One field that is required on all product imports is “Type” which refers to the product type (e.g., Simple, Grouped, Configurable, etc.). For regular products, this value is “simple.” As mentioned, if you get any further error messages regarding missing values, simply export your product list and add that field to your export so you can see what the potential values should be (e.g., I found out after correcting the “type” field that I was missing “tax_class_id,” which needed to be assigned a value of “Taxable Goods.") Hooray for “simple” fixes!

i have my “type” field filled out as “simple” and still no luck

I have saved file type as unicode UTF-8 as well

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChristianPet

Total Posts:  1

I followed the advice about and then deleted the header row and it worked for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 3 of 3