Magento Forum

Is there a Step by Step setup after installation? 

ozstar

Total Posts:  32
Sydney Oz

Hi,

Is there available a basic step by step store setup tutorial after one installs it successfully?

A short video would make it easier to get it started.

oz

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Not that I’m aware of. Magento really needs a documentation. Nothing exists. They have the Wiki and Knowledgebase, but that’s not documentation. It should outline everything. They really need one for developers too. I feel this is really hurting Magento right now because the learning curve is so steep. It could be greatly reduced with a simple documentation though, kind of like what you’d find at the following links:

http://expressionengine.com/docs/
http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/

I mean, these are like “givens” that you’d expect with any software ya know?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kriscoop

Total Posts:  4

just bumping this question in hopes that someone will post something here or on the wiki…

just looking for a step-by-step, once Magento is installed, where do you start?

--kristin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

Lack of documentation is currently the worst feature of magento, many people will try it, get frustrated and just conclude that it is too complex for them.

Magento looks like it will do great things but is suffering because some quite simple tasks are really hard to figure out without documentation. It’s a real shame that they chose to launch before it was ready. People expect with pre-release software to be on their own and figure things out for themselves but it isn’t really expected of a release version.

Obviously the Magento team are really busy now the release is here lets hope what is keeping them so busy is documentation. What is really needed is a simple how-to guide to setting up for example a couple of categories and products using the default template so that people can at least see how it works. Also there needs to be a menu by menu description of each feature. Once people get a chance to play with it and get a few things working they can move on to altering templates etc or hiring someone to do that one they are happy that megento will give them the functions they want. But at the moment many people are installing it, getting very stuck and then probably moving on to something else.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eakspeasy

Total Posts:  1

Yeah… I’m nearly ready to abandon this project completey!

Evolved indeed; I question that word choice.

I’ve wasted so much time researching and trying to figure out wtf I’m supposed to do in what order and can get nowhere. There’s plenty of information on problems, but very little on solutions.

I’m not a programmer or developer or anything of that sort. I will not go though lines of code to figure out workarounds. The screencasts aren’t in any order and always feature pre-existing data, but makes no mention of what’s necessary prior to doing whatever is in the screencast. The forum, knowledge base and wiki don’t yield much actual information. (If I had a nickel for every time I saw the ‘there’s no info for this topic’, I wouldn’t need to sell anything!)

Help please!

Magento Community
Magento Community

galaico5

Total Posts:  2
Barcelona

eakspeasy - 14 April 2008 05:41 AM

Yeah… I’m nearly ready to abandon this project completey!

Evolved indeed; I question that word choice.

I’ve wasted so much time researching and trying to figure out wtf I’m supposed to do in what order and can get nowhere. There’s plenty of information on problems, but very little on solutions.

I’m not a programmer or developer or anything of that sort. I will not go though lines of code to figure out workarounds. The screencasts aren’t in any order and always feature pre-existing data, but makes no mention of what’s necessary prior to doing whatever is in the screencast. The forum, knowledge base and wiki don’t yield much actual information. (If I had a nickel for every time I saw the ‘there’s no info for this topic’, I wouldn’t need to sell anything!)

Help please!

Me too… We need documentation about this Soft....
I’m spend two hours in do a little thing....
Maybe is very soon for begin to use this soft…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community