Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Search in Magento

roco

Total Posts:  191

I have a question about search and searching within magento.  From the simple search dialog box, I am interested in finding a product with SKU:

ISW34-XX-12-3456.22/1

We would like users to be able to find it by searching for:

“ISW34” - This currently works
“ISW34XX123456221” - This does not work

Also - We do not want users to get results from a search like this:

“12-345” - currently this does return correct results

I have not found answers anywhere as to how simple searching works in magento, so a pointer to that would also be helpful. 

Thanks,
Rob

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

xg3

Total Posts:  2

yah i am getting the same problem too.

dashes apparently are not searchable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Just as a further clarification:

1.  We want users to be able to search for SKU’s by entering numbers only and ignoring (or mis entering) these characters:  “/” “\” “.” “-”
2.  We also do not want partial search on the middle numbers of SKU’s (but this is less important)

Glad to know someone else is out there with a similar issue.......this seems like a lonely road some days.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xg3

Total Posts:  2

apparently on SKU cannot search with dashes

if you create a new attribute for example Part NO, and fill in the SKU in there.. it is searchable once again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Hmmm.......I have a searchable attribute called item_no and it still will not pull up the item: ISW34-XX-12-3456.22/1 with a simple search for “34XX12” .  This would seem to contradict what you are saying.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

There’s no search query pre-processing logic implemented, as it could be very specific and custom for each project.

Example:

1.  We want users to be able to search for SKU’s by entering numbers only and ignoring (or mis entering) these characters:  “/” “\” “.” “-”

Does it mean that a space (” “) or underscore ("_") are a meaningful characters and should be searchable, or you just forgot about them? smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

actually if they entered a “ “ or “_” we would hold that against them!!  smile

Where would we implement this logic?  Is this hard to do?  Or is there a better way through attributes?

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Any ideas on this?  Again:

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Does anyone have a suggestion for this?  Which module to modify? Code suggestion?  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community