Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product descriptions disappeared. 

NRDY

Total Posts:  2

Hi All,

I’m a newcomer to Magento, so I’m hoping I’ve probably made a newbie mistake.

I imported products from a Big Commerce site to a completely new magento test site. The import went fine with no visible issues - all the products categories images etc, were fine. I then uploaded a theme from Magento Connect, again, no problem. I started to work on it, creating a child theme and styling etc, then I realised that ALL product descriptions were missing, not just from the store front end but in the backend as well. I’ve checked the products in the admin area and the descriptions have gone, they were 110% definately there after the import.

So I used the roll back function to roll the system and database to just after the import and the descriptions are still all gone.

If anyone has any idea what the issue might be then please let me know.

N

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NRDY

Total Posts:  2

Okay problem solved/recovered.

I think it was the DB roll back that caused the issue. The imported descriptions all had HTML inside them and I think (correct me if I’m wrong) that when I rolled back the database, they description were all stripped out because of the HTML.

Any way the backed up .sql file had all the descriptions in it so it was a case of creating a new database, importing the sql back up to it and updating the local.xml file with the new db info.

N

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community