Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Upgrade 1.8.0 Fatal Error! 

IreneM62

Total Posts:  6

Hello,

I just upgraded magento CE to the 1.8.0 version but now i can no longer access my website save for the downloader module.

For the past hours i have tried, followed the instructions to upgrade, changed permissions, but so far when i try to access my website at this address: http://www.bjoie.fr i get this error message on the front page:

Fatal error: Call to a member function rewrite() on a non-object in /htdocs/public/www/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php on line 165

Please can you advice on how to fix this cause clients can’t access the website and it’s a pain. Please help!
Thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lteikwei

Total Posts:  1

I have the same problem too. Can somebody help??

Magento Community
Magento Community

uppercell

Total Posts:  11

I had the same problem… didn’t realize that it was with my first read of this thread.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/error.php/viewthread/609243/

website is “http://www.thejennyshop.com” You might actually see the error on the front end.

I wonder if this is a fix on the server side… that they need to increase the memory allocation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

valeriano

Total Posts:  5

I have the exact same problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kunukunu

Total Posts:  1

When magento 1.8.1 with all bug fixes will come....My badluck that i updated to magento CE 1.8

Magento Community
Magento Community

erosinlove

Total Posts:  2

I have the same problem too, please help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

This might not be the actual error message. Please check your server logs and PHP error log for addition information about the error.

Magento Community
Magento Community

valeriano

Total Posts:  5

I had the same error. It went away just erasing the cache folder.

I don’t know why but it works!

Magento Community
Magento Community

IreneM62

Sindre|ProperHost - 29 September 2013 01:47 AM

This might not be the actual error message. Please check your server logs and PHP error log for addition information about the error.

I did but it says the local.xml file is writable. I changed permission but i still have the same error message on my front page. This is totally frustrating cause this will be the second day that error message is up front and my clients can’t access the website. In other words, 0% gain since i updated :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Where does it say the local.xml is writable? In the error logs? Seems to me you are talking about two different errors.

Magento Community
Magento Community

IreneM62

Sindre|ProperHost - 29 September 2013 04:57 AM

Where does it say the local.xml is writable? In the error logs? Seems to me you are talking about two different errors.

Yes indeed I am talking about the error logs this time. So yes it’s not making any sense having two error messages that has nothing to do in common.
For now nothing i’ve done seems to help. unless i missed an episode here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

IreneM62 - 29 September 2013 05:02 AM

Yes indeed I am talking about the error logs this time. So yes it’s not making any sense having two error messages that has nothing to do in common.

What permissions have you set on local.xml (and other files and folders), and which user does the web server/PHP process run under? The other error may be a consequence of incorrect file permissions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bigmagic

Total Posts:  8

Do you have tried to increase the memory_limit in php.ini ?

I have tested first the upgrade on my test system and I don’t have this kind of issue. I have problem with checkout.

Magento Community
Magento Community

IreneM62

Sindre|ProperHost - 29 September 2013 05:18 AM

IreneM62 - 29 September 2013 05:02 AM

What permissions have you set on local.xml (and other files and folders), and which user does the web server/PHP process run under? The other error may be a consequence of incorrect file permissions.

Hi,
Thanks for the fast response. Permission for the local.xml file is set to 666. The permission on the other folders and files are set to 755, especially the “app” directory. However i don’t have any more error messages concerning the local.xml file, just the same that shows on the front page once connected to bjoie.fr :
“Fatal error: Call to a member function rewrite() on a non-object in /htdocs/public/www/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php on line 165

Magento Community
Magento Community

IreneM62

Haha! Fixed!
All i had to do was go back to www.mywebsite/downloader then reinstall the package called Lib_Varien
Hope this helps others having the same issue. Thanks for the support .

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Glad the problem was fixed smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community