Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
What IDE do you use? 

vincenzo

Total Posts:  39
Roma

Hi,
I would like to know what kind of IDE you are using for developing on magento. I read other post but I would like to get more feedback about this.

I am currently trying to use PHPeclipse and DBG for debugger on windows platform.

Nothing to say about eclipse which I already used for java programming and it is really good for php as well, but got a lot of problems to get dbg working well. Before going for other solutions, would like to know your experience about developing.

Zend Studio? Komodo? Eclipse? What Else?

Regards
Vincenzo

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mzentrale1
Guru

Total Posts:  731
Stuttgart, Germany

Hi,

iam using notepad++ and firebug ext. for firefox smile

cheers

Stefan

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

Ah simplicity, a little syntax highlighting goes a long way.  I am using TextMate for Mac but when I am on my PC then I use Notepad++.  To be honest I haven’t gotten much use out of Firebug generally all I need is the Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox and that’s more than enough.  Is there something in Firebug that I am not aware of that would help better than the toolbar (also I haven’t delved into Firebug much)?

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

bendtsen

Total Posts:  17

Just started using Aptana Studio which is based on eclipse - and I think firebug is nice because of its ability to show what happens “behind the scenes” when for example playing around with ajax pages, like onepage checkout.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

Ah now it makes more sense, I agree that is something that is nice, I will check that out next time I am mucking about in there.  Thanks!

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I’m just using Dreamweaver, and occassionally Firebug.

If anyone else is using Dreamweaver and thinks its tragic that the phtml files aren’t recognized, I just figured out how to hack Dreamweaver to display them: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/opening_phtml_files_in_dreamweaver

Ironically I found that in a Google search, didn’t even think to look in Magento’s wiki first. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

vincenzo

Total Posts:  39
Roma

Thanks for sharing your experience, nobody of you is debugging php directly?

Notepad++ is a good editor and firebug seems to be good for html, javascript and css debugging (and I’ll surely use it) but what about php debugging? I will need soon to develop something on Magento and to understand how Magento really works and to test my code there will be need of a php debugger.

As I said I am trying to use dbg with phpeclipse but I am not getting what I want, seems just it is good for debugging of a single php file which is useless with Magento.
As I am a newbie php programmer, maybe I am doing something wrong. I will have some more try but if I will be not able to get DBG working I will go for somtheing else. So, it will be good to know by you where to go :D

Next step will be trying to use XDebug and then to change IDE. I know varien used a lot Zend Studio so it should work well for Magento, but what are the other choices?

Magento Community
Magento Community

danieln

Total Posts:  131
Mainz, Germany

We are using Zend Studio, FF+Firebug. Problem with Zend Studio and Magento is, most of the handy code completion is not working due to the special design concept Varien is using. If anyone at Varien is reading this, I would more than welcome it if they could lighten up the dark with what special setting they are using in Zend Studio to get the code completion to work smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sensi

Total Posts:  103
Paris, France

Zend Studio for Eclipse, FF+Firebug, Dreamweaver CS4/notepad++, then Vware workstation with a XP virtual machine for fixing anything related to the crappy IE6…

Magento Community
Magento Community

anton78

Total Posts:  21

Local Development Server: Zend Server CE

IDE: Aptana Studio

Graphic Design - Theme Design: Adobe CS4 Fireworks + Photoshop

Magento Community
Magento Community

phoenixevolution

Total Posts:  3

I’m on Leopard.
IDE: TextMate
firebug
cssedit
macGDBp
Built in webserver.
recompiled php 5.2
Xdebug 2.1

Magento Community
Magento Community

edmondscommerce
Guru

Total Posts:  342

netbeans (running on a mac)
xampp on ubuntu laptop
xdebug

netbeans is stable and powerful and great for OO PHP projects

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Total Posts:  153
Leicestershire, UK

Also running Netbeans on mac - agree its stable/powerful, good for PHP & also for RubyRails & Java, of course.

I do worry what will happen to Netbeans longer term, now that Oracle are buying Sun and have invested huge effort in JDeveloper & the ADF framework.

Magento Community
Magento Community

piotrn

Total Posts:  33

On Linux,

Eclipse PDT as IDE
Xdebug for debugging PHP
Firefox+Firebug to debug JavaScript design issues
GIT as sources control (SVN Eclipse plug-in makes PDT unusable with Magento)
Also, when it’s appropriate, PHPUnit for unit testing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

resonance

Total Posts:  62

On windoze I use Notepad++ to edit, Firefox+Firebug to poke around in the output. I’m planning to look at Eclipse + PHPEclipse or something as an IDE, but I always have preferred lightweight simple apps. It’s only when I’m jumping around the class trees a lot that I think about having a nice OO php browser.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Total Posts:  654

I used to use Zend Studio. Nice IDE.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community