Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I cleanly *Uninstall* Magento??  [beginner asking]

anysupport

Total Posts:  2
Massachusetts, USA

Hi all,
I have searched the wiki and the forums and not found an article for how to uninstall Magento.  I’m still new to working with MySQL and Magento and the backend of all this, but I love what I’ve seen so far.  I have a .8something beta version installed and want to make sure I remove it cleanly so I can install the 1.0 version.

My setup:

XAMPP running on a local harddrive.
- MySql 5.0.51
Magento
- I have created copies of the main skin/layout folders that I was playing with and don’t necessarily want to lose those. 
Can I just move them and copy them back into the 1.0 version folders?
I have settings and configurations for the system, but no real products entered. 

It may be really simple to do this, but I’m not sure about what I don’t know.. do I need to do anything special for passwords or some tables and not others or clear some cache before installing 1.0?

Thanks!
anysupport

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

slaction

Total Posts:  19

A Magento site search and a Google search both return this post when searching for “unistall mangeto” and yet it’s unanswered.

anyway....I have the preview installed and I’d like to completely uninstall it and install 1.0

Do I need to do anything special to uninstall or can I just delete the files?  I’m going to create a new database with the 1.0 version.

any help is appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

Majento simply consists of a database and a directory on your web server. What you are asking is more a basic web server / MySQL task rather than Magento specific, but thats ok we all have to start somewhere.

First of all assuming you have nothing you want to salvage from the data you have entered into a previous Magento install you can simply drop the database you created I in your MySQL. You can use the same method you used for creating the initial database to remove it, i.e if you used the MySQL command line to create the databse you can use it to drop the database see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/drop-database.html for details of dropping a database. If you used a GUI such as phpMySQL then use that to drop the database.

Second the whole installation of magneto is under a single directory on your server, once again if you don’t need to keep any changes made to files such as themes then simply delete the whole directory structure and upload a new copy of magento where you will be greeted with the installer when you visit your website url next time.

Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

slaction

Thanks for the reply Darren,

That’s what I needed to know.  smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Landis

The problem I have with this answer is my host, put the full Magento install in my Root Directory, and I have other Directories also mixed in (Joomla) second (Magento Install).  I assume there may also be other folders needed by system.

I will look at second Magento install structure, and try to eliminate those files and folders from the root directory.  It would be nice to have a clear uninstall button.

L.Arnold

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community