Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Using Magento in a non traditional way - remove Shopping Cart Functions

geoffm33

Total Posts:  3

I am considering the use of Magento as a product comparison engine without the ability to purchase directly from the “store”. I am considering a custom Wordpress installation as well but the feature set I need resembles an ecommerce store, just without the “commerce” part!

So is there a way to disable and remove the actual purchasing functions of Magento and just use the product engine? I am sure it is possible to simply remove the shopping cart, add to cart, checkout, my account, etc links from the template but is it possible to turn off certain elements so I can be sure they are inaccessible?

Thanks in advance!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

coolshop

Total Posts:  121

In the Admin
1 System->Configuration
2 ‘Advanced’ section on the left menu at the bottom
3 Select the ‘Advanced’ option (not to be confused with the ‘Advanced’ section
4 Click of ‘Disable modules output’ to bring up the list of module
5 Go to Mage_Checkout (list is in alphabetical order)
6 Select “Disable’ with on the drop down.
7 Save Configuration
8 Log out. Log back in. This is to clear the cache to make sure the change will show on the front end.
9 Front end. Try to add a product to cart
10 No more cart, no more checkout. Just a ‘add to cart’ button that does nothing.

Just change that button to call up the product url of the store that sells the product.

By the way I will be interested to share ideas and how to. I am doing a comparison site that allows products to be ordered directly from my site. So I need the checkout function. This is unusual too.

PM me so we can share ideas.

CoolMoov from CoolShoop

Magento Community
Magento Community

geoffm33

Total Posts:  3

Cool, thanks! We are still in planning mode but I will certainly share our progress as we go forward.

I have another open thread that may be up your alley:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/59996/

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community