Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
THere is no “install” folder in the “zip” files…

Hoodgrown

Total Posts:  63

I’m a new member as of today.. I just download the latest version both the “light’ and the ‘full” versions. THe instruction say to go to

yoururl/magento/install

only problem is… there IS NO install folder in the zip files.....

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

You are right, there’s no such folder in file system.

The instruction is talking about URL, which means you should point your browser to:
http://yourserver.com/magento_root_path/install

Let us know if this worked for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

and just to give you an idea of how this is possible, the zend framework uses a bootstrapper file, (index.php) and the .htaccess file says basically, when you request /install/ goto index.php and run install, and the index.php file handles it from there,

its the same technology that allows http://demo.magentocommerce.com/catalog/product/view/s/olympus-stylus-750-7-1mp-digital-camera/id/46/category/12/ to be a valid link even though theres no olympus-stylus-750-7-1mp-digital-camera folder,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

it’s not working for me… I put the program in the root directory without the “magento” folder could this be the cause of the “Not Found” error?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Then that means your server or host has not ebabled mod_rewrite which is required for Magento to work right. You should probably contact your host and ask if they can enabled mod_rewrite for you. Or choose a host from the recommendation list:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Magento-Web-Hosting/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

i’ll have them do it now.. then i’ll post back

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

Scott - 21 September 2007 04:08 AM

Then that means your server or host has not ebabled mod_rewrite which is required for Magento to work right. You should probably contact your host and ask if they can enabled mod_rewrite for you. Or choose a host from the recommendation list:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Magento-Web-Hosting/

mod_rewrite is enabled.. still no dice:

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

is there an ..htaccess file included with the download? If so.. maybe that’s the problem.. to my Mac.. this is a hidden file that I can’t see… i

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

yes.. it was a hidden .hts file…
i had to enter a command in the terminal that allows me to see all hidden files…
and that did the trick....

thanks…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Ah yes, unfortunately Mac’s don’t like to show .htaccess files. I like to use this script to show and hide hidden files on my Mac:

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/show-hidden-files-in-finder-188892.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

ok.. the wizard shows up.. but above the wizard i’m getting the following errors:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot find save handler files in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract/Varien.php on line 49
[0] in session_start() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract/Varien.php on line 49
[1] in Mage_Core_Model_Session_Abstract_Varien->start() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session.php on line 32
[2] in Mage_Core_Model_Session->__construct(Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php on line 555
[3] in Mage_Core_Model_Config->getModelInstance("core/session", Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 242
[4] in Mage::getModel("core/session", Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 249
[5] in Mage::getSingleton("core/session") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php on line 76
[6] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->__construct(Zend_Controller_Request_Http, Zend_Controller_Response_Http) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php on line 124
[7] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Zend_Controller_Request_Http) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php on line 139
[8] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 356
[9] in Mage::run("base") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 27

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot find save handler files in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract/Varien.php on line 49
[0] in session_start() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract/Varien.php on line 49
[1] in Mage_Core_Model_Session_Abstract_Varien->start() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract/Varien.php on line 58
[2] in Mage_Core_Model_Session_Abstract_Varien->init("core") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract.php on line 26
[3] in Mage_Core_Model_Session_Abstract->init("core") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session.php on line 32
[4] in Mage_Core_Model_Session->__construct(Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php on line 555
[5] in Mage_Core_Model_Config->getModelInstance("core/session", Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 242
[6] in Mage::getModel("core/session", Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 249
[7] in Mage::getSingleton("core/session") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php on line 76
[8] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->__construct(Zend_Controller_Request_Http, Zend_Controller_Response_Http) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php on line 124
[9] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Zend_Controller_Request_Http) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php on line 139
[10] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 356
[11] in Mage::run("base") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 27

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

any ideas???

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

@Hoodgrown: Could you take a look what is the value of session.save_handler in your php.ini ? Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

here it is....

session.save_handler = “files “

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

@Hoodgrown: Looks like there’s extra space before closing quote. Could you remove it, restart httpd and try again?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

okay.. that was done.. now the eror has changed to theis

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Unknown session.serialize_handler. Failed to decode session object. in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract/Varien.php on line 49
[1] in Mage_Core_Model_Session_Abstract_Varien->start() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session.php on line 32
[2] in Mage_Core_Model_Session->__construct(Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php on line 555
[3] in Mage_Core_Model_Config->getModelInstance("core/session", Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 242
[4] in Mage::getModel("core/session", Array[0]) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 249
[5] in Mage::getSingleton("core/session") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php on line 76
[6] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->__construct(Zend_Controller_Request_Http, Zend_Controller_Response_Http) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php on line 124
[7] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Zend_Controller_Request_Http) in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php on line 139
[8] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch() in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/app/Mage.php on line 356
[9] in Mage::run("base") in /home/ramconew/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 27

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2