Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Prize Draw or Competition Module

Zizania

Total Posts:  8
Northampton, United Kingdom

Hi all

I’m looking for a prize draw or competition module or for someone to point me in the right direction so I can design it for myself...!?

Admin system:
Abilty to create a prize draw with either a timer (prefered) or manual open/close.
Have ability for:
title
description
images
winner’s details

Frontend
When open a logged in user can just click enter competition/prize draw, no need to answer questions.
This then tracks them against the draw, they can only enter once per account per draw.
When closed it shows the winner with ability to have extra photos.

Basically a system to create a prize draw for logged in users to subscribe too, but everyone can see, with pictures and a close date for entries. The selection of the winner can be manually added or automatic from the entires. But some way of exporting the entries would be needed for the manual process.

All in all a very simple module.

Thanks
Gareth

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

roughlyfamous

Total Posts:  22

I’m looking for the same thing, not sure it exists though :S

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zizania

Hi

I’m writing this module at the moment, please post your requirements and I’ll see what I can do!

Thanks
Gareth

Magento Community
Magento Community

roughlyfamous

My only addition request would be to be able to allow the answer to be multiple choice or free text!

I’m definately interested in this module when its done!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zizania

Hi,

When you say the answer are you thinking that they would answer a question then? My spec at the moment doesn’t require a question to be answered.

Gareth

Magento Community
Magento Community

roughlyfamous

Under UK Law with the gaming/gambling act, there is a big difference between a game of luck/chance (gambling) and a game of skill (competition with question).

Now adding that question makes it a game of skill (thats why all the newspapers have questions for the competitions). It doesn’t matter if the question is stupid, just so long as they answer a question :D

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zizania

Hi

so in essence there must be a question?
If the answer is freetext does that not then increase the amount of work involved once the comp is over?

On my clients previous site, they had a prize draw with no question and about 500 signing up every month, would this come under gambling act? It is kind of like, no purchase necessary by sending a letter or ring this premium rate number!

If this is the case and I really ought to have a question then I shall program that in, and of so thanks for the heads up.

G

Magento Community
Magento Community

roughlyfamous

Hey,

I believe so. With the previous client it depends on if it was a prize draw or a newsletter signup, gambling laws are complex, and it’d depend on the Terms & Conditions they have ect. I assume they have spoken to someone about it, though the premium rate number causes complications - see here http://www.out-law.com/page-6780

Free text may increase the workload, though a simple query on the export functionality with a LIKE should cut down this work immensly! To be honest I’d mainly use multiple choice, and it’d just be the odd thing that was freetext.

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

hardikmagentomaster

Total Posts:  3

i want same functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickyFk

Total Posts:  165

How are you going with the development of this extension?

I am looking for similar functionality. However I would like the following options to potentially be built in.

Select a prize from the websites product catalog, when a customer/member wins it then creates an order for that product using the information that they have contained in their address book.

This then automatically updates the competition winners CMS page with the latest winners information (name, location, prize).

It would also be ideal to add a competition menu item to the My Account screen for when a customer is logged in. This could allow them to see what the current prize available to win is along with being able to view previous winners, and also give them the ability to recommend the competition to someone else.

This is a description for what we are after taken from a development request that we had previously submitted.

Automatic competiton/Prize Draw extension
Useful for giving customers reasons to join your mailing list/added benefit for staying on the mailing list.

Takes the selected mailing list (as defined in admin) and randomly generates “x” (as defined in admin) winners, every “x” days for “x” product (as defined in admin), this then creates an order for the product with $0.00 cost, which advises admin of winners/and sends Order email to prize winner congratulating them and letting them know what product/prize they have won.

The prize along with how to win it “I.e. Signup for our mailing list” is displayed on nav bars with a link to the auto generating list of winners along with the prize they have won.

See:

http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t;=54

Magento Community
Magento Community

dtcuk

Total Posts:  55

Have you seen this extension,

http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1043/raffle/

we use it for competitions, it basic but you can use cms pages to list winners etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickyFk

Total Posts:  165

Thanks for letting us know, we hadn’t seen that on MC.

I have had a look at it and it appears to fill the basic need, however we would like it the system to be as automated as possible so we are hoping that someone develops this idea further.

It appears that the developer has abandoned the raffle extension as they haven’t released an update in almost a year (or replied to any feature requests).

Magento Community
Magento Community

ggchamp

Total Posts:  153

dtcuk - 22 February 2010 03:53 AM

we use it for competitions, it basic but you can use cms pages to list winners etc.

Perfect! that was exactly what i was looking for.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gershon

dtcuk - 22 February 2010 03:53 AM

So nice how one little link that someone decides to post could save a programmer so much time, thanks a lot for this one save me a crap load of time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gamezrt

Total Posts:  3

RickyFk - 21 February 2010 03:53 PM

How are you going with the development of this extension?

I am looking for similar functionality. However I would like the following options to potentially be built in.

Select a prize from the websites product catalog, when a customer/member wins it then creates an order for that product using the information that they have contained in their address book.

This then automatically updates the competition winners CMS page with the latest winners information (name, location, prize).

It would also be ideal to add a competition menu item to the My Account screen for when a customer is logged in. This could allow them to see what the current prize available to win is along with being able to view previous winners, and also give them the ability to recommend the competition to someone else.

This is a description for what we are after taken from a development request that we had previously submitted.

Automatic competiton/Prize Draw extension
Useful for giving customers reasons to join your mailing list/added benefit for staying on the mailing list.

Takes the selected mailing list (as defined in admin) and randomly generates “x” (as defined in admin) winners, every “x” days for “x” product (as defined in admin), this then creates an order for the product with $0.00 cost, which advises admin of winners/and sends Order email to prize winner congratulating them and letting them know what product/prize they have won.

The prize along with how to win it “I.e. Signup for our mailing list” is displayed on nav bars with a link to the auto generating list of winners along with the prize they have won.

See:

http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t;=54

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kim Frederik

Total Posts:  7

That last post seem to be spam…

The thread http://forum.aheadworks.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t;=54 doesn\’t seem to be available any longer…

Any way…
How far did you get with this module...?
Will it work on Magento Enterprise...?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2