Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

DIfferent tax rates for retail and government customers

RHS

Total Posts:  8

I am having trouble setting up different tax rates for my retail and government customers. It seems Magento is ignoring my customer groups and only pays attention to the tax rule assigned to the General customer group. I have set up different customer groups for Retail and Government and assigned a tax rule to each group. I then assigned the group in the customer management area. When I go to “create order”, Magento puts “General” in the Customer Group box in the Account Information area even though I have saved another customer group for that customer. I have tried simply to change it using the drop down menu but it doesn’t actually change anything.  Is it possible to have Magento calculate taxes based on what customer group is assigned to a customer? From what I have read it should but I cannot make it work correctly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

aishah

Total Posts:  35

1.Product Tax Classes- Set 2 classes

e.g: Vat 5% and Vat 19 %

2.Customer Tax Classes-Set 2 customer tax classes

e.g:Vat 5and Vat 19

3.Manage Tax Rate -Set 2 tax rate

E.g: 5% and 19 %

4.Manage Tax Rules- set 2 rules

e.g: for Vat 5%
Name *Vat for 5 %
Product Tax Class * Vat 5 %
Tax Rate * 5%

And same for 19% all must correspond with the 19%, no combine the Tax 5% with Tax 19%, after that will give error.From dropdown menu just select 1 option or 5 % or 19 %, use CTRL and select the option you want, never both in dropdown menu.

5.After that system => Configuration => Sales =>Tax -catalog price make sure the price include tax, you have some options to including, excluding, including and excluding tax. Set one…

6.Once you add 1 product for Vat 5% make sure the tax product is Vat 5%

Magento Community
Magento Community

RHS

Thank you for the response.

It looks like your example will set different tax rates by product. I need it to set different tax rates by customer.

“And same for 19% all must correspond with the 19%, no combine the Tax 5% with Tax 19%, after that will give error.From dropdown menu just select 1 option or 5 % or 19 %, use CTRL and select the option you want, never both in dropdown menu.”

Where is the drop down menu you are referring to?

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aishah

Manage Tax Rules-Add new rule, you have there dropdown.

Once done all, you can set up different tax class by customer.

Customers => Customers groups

Customer group 1 add tax class 5%
Customer group 2 add tax class 19%

Magento Community
Magento Community

RHS

Sorry doesn’t work for me. Here is my issue. I can set up different tax rates, tax rules etc. No problem. I can set up a customer group and assign a tax rule to it. I can even assign a customer group to a customer in the customer management screen. The problem is when I go to the customer management area and press “create order: Magento puts “General” in the Account Information area instead of the customer group that is saved in the customer record. I try to manually change it from “General” to “Exempt” and Magento displays the little calculating icons (?????) and does nothing. This is incredibly frustrating. Its like Magento only pays attention to what ever tax rule is defined in the “general” customer group. I can change the tax rule there. Am I crazy or is the whole point of the customer group feature to let you assign different tax rates to customers???? It simply doesn’t work for me. I have tried on a friend’s install of Magento. Same issue. Is there some obscure setting buried in the admin area that I don’t know about?

This really is a deal crusher for me. If I can’t make this work . i will have to shelve all the work I have put into setting up Magento. I really would like to go live with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RHS

BTW, I REALLY appreciate the help.

Thanks again!

Magento Community
Magento Community

RHS

OK after some more experiments, it looks like the customer groups only functions when the user is logged into the frontend of the site and does not work if you attempt to create an order for the customer through the back office. This whole time I have been testing this in the back office only and not through the front end. Is this is a bug that Magento will not apply the customer group tax rules if you create the order in the back office?

Magento Community
Magento Community

aishah

hello i am not sure, but always i made tests on the frontend, and works fine there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RHS

Yes it works great on the front end when the customer is logged in. After some more testing it appears that the default is “NOT LOGGED IN” for the back office.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community