Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Getting “Please enable cookies in your web browser to continue” error

lukemcr

Total Posts:  15

I’m getting the dreaded “Please enable cookies in your web browser to continue” error on some browsers when I try to add something to my cart. I’ve been able to replicate it only on Safari, Opera and Konqueror. The site isn’t hosted locally, it’s in its live location on an off-site server.

Any ideas? Disabling the cookie error notification option in Admin > System > Configuration > Web > Browser Capabilities Detection stopped the error from coming up, but it also stopped me from being able to add things to my cart. Clearing the browser’s and Magento’s caches didn’t work, and defining the cookie domain name and path in the Magento config didn’t either.

Any tips would be great - thanks a lot.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lukemcr

Not sure if it’s related or not, but I couldn’t log in to the admin in the same browsers I mentioned above - Safari, Konqueror and Opera. Following the instructions on this page:

http://markuzweb.blogspot.com/2009/08/cant-login-to-magento-admin-panel-after.html

let me log in to the admin… but it didn’t fix the cookie problem at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spread

Total Posts:  33

We solved it by adding some extra lifetime for the cookies. When looking at our server, the time and date said 1.5 hours behind the computer. This caused the cookies to be removed as soon as they were sent to the client, causing the reply to show no cookies and sending the cookie-error.

We prolonged the lifetime of each cookie from one to three hours and the problem was solved for both Safari and IE.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lukemcr

Hm… that makes sense. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community