Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

FedEx Freight Module

JoshMcGrath

Total Posts:  15
Atlanta, GA

Hey everybody,

I’ve been working with my FedEx Freight account and technical reps regarding a FedEx Freight (and FedEx National LTL) shipping module. First I was going to try and make this module myself because it seems so easy, but after digging into it, this is way over my head.

I know Magento has a FedEx freight option but I have yet to see anyone make it work (judging from the forum topics).

It looks like FedEx’s whole rate system revolves around sending a request to a particular server in a url string that includes certain order and consignee details (like weight, zip code, class, etc) and then the remote server will return the rate quote via an XML string. I’m just not well versed enough in XML to turn this response into something usable on the front end in Magento. I though about taking the built-in UPS shipping module and modifying it but it could take me months just to understand it.  I’ve attached the documentation that FedEx sent me but it’s not easy reading (for me anyway).

In short, I’d like to be able to offer my customer actual freight rates instead of table rates that scare off a lot of people because they are either too high or too inaccurate.  Even with thousands of rows in my table rates, they’re still inaccurate at best.

In a perfect world, I’d love to be able to integrate the “Store Locator” module from Unirgy where a customer could choose a terminal to pickup his/her order and have the freight module estimate shipping to that terminal using the table that is already populated on the backend (since terminal pickup options is MUCH less expensive than residential delivery). Not a priority but sine I’m hoping…

I know there are a lot of other people out there who could use this (simply judging by the number of posts on this topic) and we may even be willing to help cover the development costs (but we have a very small budget!!).

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start or other examples that I could work from? In a perfect world, we could make this an extension to install via Magento Connect, but again, that’s way over my head.

Take a look at the attachment and if anyone has suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

Thanks!

File Attachments
XML Solutions.pdf  (File Size: 192KB - Downloads: 671)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

helper

Total Posts:  1

Freightapi.com has built a module you can connect to if you don’t find what you want. It is set up to handle small package freight and common carrer LTL goods in the same sale, by querying real time freight rates by line item (get a rate for each item in sale, so they can even come from all different ship points) instead of the total of the cart only. You might check them oute and see if it solves your needs.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZmoduleZ

Total Posts:  7

We have a FedEx Freight shipping extension which queries FedEx’s XML services for quotes.  It does not currently provide a list of pick-up locations.  If there is enough interest we may at some point provide that extension.

For more information:
http://zmodulez.wordpress.com/magento-fedex-freight-shipping-extension/

Louis

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community