Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Help please, website gone down displaying error

drpedro

Total Posts:  2

I’ve been changing the contact form and adding extra form elements. This all seemed to work fine.  Then I was chaning a page to show the contact form in the cms code. I saved a couple of times to view the website and all fine. But then suddenly I got an error and couldn’t view any of my website: www.purr-o-lux.co.uk

I’m just getting this error:

Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 38: parser error : StartTag: invalid element name in /home/sites/purr-o-lux.co.uk/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php on line 510
Trace:
#0 /home/sites/purr-o-lux.co.uk/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(510): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/sites/pur...’, 510, Array)
#1 /home/sites/purr-o-lux.co.uk/public_html/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(498): Varien_Simplexml_Config->loadString(’init(’/home/sites/pur...’)
#4 /home/sites/purr-o-lux.co.uk/public_html/app/Mage.php(434): Mage_Core_Model_App->init(Array)
#5 /home/sites/purr-o-lux.co.uk/public_html/app/Mage.php(455): Mage::app(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#6 /home/sites/purr-o-lux.co.uk/public_html/index.php(65): Mage::run(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#7 {main}

I cleared my cache and tried again but no joy.
Can Anyone shed any light onto what I’m doing wrong?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

It’s easy to visualize with Beyond Compare.

You load the last working backup in the left pane, the broken version in the right and in a matter of seconds, you will see what you did wrong, most likely missing an XML tag.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Incognito
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Michigan

Whenever i modify a file i rename the original by adding bk to the end of it.  That way if there is a problem i can switch back to the working original quickly.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community